Thread: .505 Gibbs

User

Default .505 Gibbs

Does anyone in the forum have any experince with building such a large rifle?
    I want a fairly plain but well made rifle that must fit me perfectly.
    Have done some research and cant get myself to pay R 60-100 k to have one made by the "top" gunsmiths like Ginger, Danie or Alan. Im probably only to use a few times a year. Have been referred to a Paul in Kroonstad who says he will build me a nice rifle on a ZKK602 action for R25-30K. Does anyone have any experience of this gunsmiths work?
    Any advice?

PS my heart is set on a 505 so no use trying to tell me to buy a 416/458/500 etc

Default Re: .505 Gibbs

I recently let a beaut slip through my fingersstill kicking my own backside!

Maybe a group buy will be cheaper?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Will check with my gunsmith on a price this coming week when I collect my 6x45.
    Stick to the ZKK602 action for the .505
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

FWIW, Sabi Rifles in Nelspruit offer a 'game ranger' model that's slightly more plain jane than their other rifles. I don't know what the costs are but you might like to give them a phone call or send them an email to ask.

Also FWIW, they built a 500 Jeffery and a 404 Jeffery for me and I've been delighted with both the build quality and customer service.

If you ever pass through White River, you're welcome to pop in, drink a beer and give them a look over if you want to.

User

Gerrie Coetzee in Bloem is building himself a 505 gibbs at the moment. give him a call

User

If you want to go the affordable route, nothing will beat using a P14 action. I recently fired a .505 built on one. I can put you in touch with the owner. The mag capacity was a very resonable 3 rounds for the caliber. I doubt if you will squeeze more into the ZKK602 action. You can probably buy a hacked P14 in .303 for around max R2000-R3000, import a sporting stock from Boyds or someone else in the US and have a local smith build it for you. As far as I know Truvelo makes barrels in .505 calibre. Phone around and try to find a gunsmith who has done something similar, you want to make sure that your rifle feeds reliably. If you import a stock make sure that someone properly reinforces it for you. If you go this route, I am convinced you can have a basic working rifle for less than R15k.