Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Let's have some fun - if you could have any revolver for SADPA/ IDPA

If you could have any revolver for IDPA/ SADPA what would it be/
    Please make different recommendationd for ESR and SSR, or explain why the one revolver is ideal for both.

Don't just consider the new eye candy that is unlikely to be avaliable in SA anyway.
    Please also consider some of the older revolvers available in SA such as S&W mod 28 - solid gun will not break it, but might only be usable in ESR due to weight.

For me especially in light of the newreduced power floor for SSR for me it would be a Colt Python for no real reason other than I have always wanted one (ideally SS with 6 inch barrel - OK, OK know this would not be IDPA/ SADPA legal!) or alternately .357 Korth revolver (hand build limited number per year about 100, at about $2500!).

S&W 625 only gun for ESR if you want to win, full moon cips will kill a speed loader/ jet load reload evertime! Mild recoiling as well (230 grn at 720 fps to make factor).

Let's hear yours. . . .

Default Re: Let's have some fun - if you could have any revolver for SADPA/ IDPA

Oh, a Webley Fosbery! It should give one a most unfair advantage!

Default Re: Let's have some fun - if you could have any revolver for SADPA/ IDPA

4" M29 machined to take full moon clips;cylinder shortened and barrel set back, loaded with .44 Spl = 250gr at 675fps = 168 pf

The S&W 625 is definitely high on my list! My S&W 1917 .45ACP will also play nicely, once I get a replacement barrel!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

Ruger or Smith. Both excellent quality. Early model 29-2 Smith has recessed cylinders, so it doesn't need moon-clips. SL Variant loads it just as fast as clips.

Ruger Redhawk 4" and Model 29 4" make the weight for ESR.

Have the cylinder mouths slightly bevelled to take the edge off. Not necessary for a 29-2, mandatory for any Ruger.

Fiber-optic front sight, v-notch rear. 44 special reloads.

User

S&W 625 for ESR - revolver use in IDPA is foreign to me and I have to make point his year to learn to shoot my 625 to some degree of proficiency.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Hehehe.. Love the topic!

S&W 625 as well and a Ruger GP 100... *dreamy sigh*

I shot my Taurus 66 .357Mag yesterday again with 158grainers doing 1235fps.. I remembered why I love the wheelguns..!
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

Not knowing anything about rollies, I reckon the 4" S&W 629 really looks pretty decent.

User

What's a revolver GG? :-)

For SSR, lots of well priced guns on the second hand market. Most former revolver owners never actually shot their guns. A little work from a good gunsmith, and you can have your own combat revolver.

I'd stick with Ruger or Smith. Definitely Ruger if it's for carry as well. Cylinder mouth bevel, fiber-optic front sight, v-notch rear.

Personally, I can't tell if Ruger or Smith has a smoother action. Ruger guns a bit heavier per caliber, but all 4" 357 in both makes are SSR legal in terms of weight.

In summary, the make is more important than the model, the bevelling a must for smooth reloads, and with the above sight combination a 2" snubbie has accuracy potential.

Moon clips don't make a good shooter. Practice does.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    I'd stick with Ruger or Smith. Definitely Ruger if it's for carry as well. Cylinder mouth bevel, fiber-optic front sight, v-notch rear.
    Just bought a Security Six precisley for IDPA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast