Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default re-loading hollow points

I would like some advice on this please.

I have got some 9mm 125gr sierra JHP heads.

I have loaded up a few with 4.3 grains of mp200 which is the maximium recomended load for this weight and calibre. on the spec sheet

They fire perfectly with no stoppages at all but they honetly do feel a bit light compared to some other factory hollow point loads I have fired. What is the optimal speed for a hollow point to be travelling for it to expand correctly? is faster better or is there a point where is just fragments?

I have recently had a few "failure to eject" stoppages on my range loads also 4.3 grains on 124 cast heads. I have now tried a load of 4.5 grains and I had no stoppages at all. It dot not seem to be much hotter but the firearm did seem to cycle better.

These were all shot with a browning HP.

What would be a +p+ charge for the 9mm 125 grn JHP?

Default Re: re-loading hollow points

Are your range loads plated or plain lead?

The sierras are pretty old school in design. They are not going to hold up very well at high velocity. All hollow points will eventually fragment if pushed faster and faster.

As +p+ is a measure of pressure its really impossible to say without testing that particular bullet out of a pressure barrel.

You can get an idea by measuring velocity, but this is neither accurate nor advisable. You could end up with a relatively low velocity but very high pressue.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

The range loads are plain lead. with our own mix tin and antimony.

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

LCG,

I also had a few stoppages in the Star with my range loads. I upped the load 0.1gr at a time until all went well and chucked the old cases. Problem solved, but I eventually tuned it down to about 4.1gr MP200 for 124gr LSWC (it's a RCBS mould, IIRC).

Loads are given as correct; try them at your own risk.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by BoerBok
    LCG,

I also had a few stoppages in the Star with my range loads. I upped the load 0.1gr at a time until all went well and chucked the old cases. Problem solved, but I eventually tuned it down to about 4.1gr MP200 for 124gr LSWC (it's a RCBS mould, IIRC).

Will you make IDPA power factor 125000 (head mass x FPS, IIRC), with 4.1 grains though? It may be a bit close. if you shoot idpa of course?

Quote Originally Posted by L~C~G
    Quote Originally Posted by BoerBok
    LCG,

Will you make IDPA power factor 125000 (head mass x FPS, IIRC), with 4.1 grains though? It may be a bit close. if you shoot idpa of course?
    You will have to shoot them over a chronograph to verify out of your own gun.
    Havamal

According to the chrony we tested, I did.

confused0083

Maybe I should check that again.
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

User

When reloading hollowpoints one will no doubt be loading towards the maximum end of the scale. Is there any way of reliably estimating pressures? I've heard the stories about primer flattening etc but they sound pretty unreliable for loads that you are staking your life on.

Hey DrDave

I am currently developing loads for the Star using Speer 115gr GD's.

The Somchem-listed max is 5.0gr, so I loaded 3 x 4.7gr, 3 x 4.8gr, etc to 5.0gr. Plan is to go to the range, fire them & look for flattened primers, bulging cases and a pronounced whack to the right paw.

The best one can do in one's search for a good SD load would be to have a 'standard' gun, load it till it squeaks, chrony the load & check that you get the speeds shown in the various literature to ensure reliable expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave
    When reloading hollowpoints one will no doubt be loading towards the maximum end of the scale. Is there any way of reliably estimating pressures? I've heard the stories about primer flattening etc but they sound pretty unreliable for loads that you are staking your life on.
    Not really. The best way is to take test loads to the CSIR.

I once loaded 9mm THVs over a full case of 121 (including the base). They chronied at 2200fps if I recall. Primers looked fine. You could, however, deprime the cases with a paper clip or by blowing hard into the case.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast