Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Anti Smash\Grab Car Window Film: Impact on bullet Path

This is indeed the case Bushboy. The film goes on the inside of the glass so as to also protect the occupant from shards.

If you can access this site there are two different firearms demo videos posted for their product. The first uses the film applied to regular 1/2in thick annealed glass...very common for commercial use...and stops 12ga Buck, 9mm FMJ from an MP5 and .45 FMJ from a pistol at what looks to be maybe 20-30 feet. Basically the same level as Sean's experience with the .40.

The second is a demonstration of the film applied to standard automotive side window safety glass (not laminated glass as used in windshields) and stops a single .22 round from a pistol...smash and grab protection, etc but certainly not something I'd want to count on to stop a 9mm FMJ.

http://www.c3defenseinc.com/windowFi..._livefire1.cfm

I'm far from an expert but all the BP glass I have ever seen fitted to automobiles has been very thick and fixed in place. Maybe there is something newer out now?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I've unfortunately had to see quite a few "smash and grab" robberies where a brick is thrown through the window of a passing car. The person is generally injured and stops the car where a second person reaches into the car and takes the handbag/laptop etc
    In one of these incidents an 8 year old girl took the brick to her face. Was not pretty!

Fit the protection to your windows!
    It may or may not stop a bullet, but it will stop a brick and save you some heartache!
    A roaring Lion kills no game

+10000

User

User

Very interesting. My old man just bought a new bakkie for the farm. He phoned me to tell me about the security film he is installing and I started to wonder about shooting through the glass - naturally :P

Quote Originally Posted by BUL View Post

They are talking 12mm glass , so certainly not viable with any standard vehicle.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

100% FrankH

I was just trying to bring the fact across, that 'film' allone wont stop penetration.

User

in episode 7 of "the Best Defense" Rob Pincus does a segment on SD shooting from inside a car, and he shoots through the front windscreen and hits a target with no problems. I would imagine that a front windscreen is a lot tougher than side windows due to it being thicker, and a 3 layer laminate of glass-film-glass.

I couldn't find the exact clip, but this youtube video with Rob Pincus has some very good advice on shooting from inside a car. The demo doesn't include the actual windscreen, and its for left hand drive american cars.

Feel free to watch this video from this " instructor" - I got better things to do with my time - like root cannel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2