User

Default Shotgun with no name please help.

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg012.jpg010.jpg
    Hi guys here is some pics of a shotgun I inhereted from my grandfather many years ago. I still shoot with it with cartridges I load with blackpowder. I bought the cartridges from Armour Brass Cartridges in Clocolan. Can someone perhaps tell me what is the make of this shotgun as it is not stamped in on the shotgun. Thanks any help will be appreciated. I took photos af all the markings on the shotgun.

Default Re: Shotgun with no name please help.

JSF Botha were gunsmiths in and around the Cape in the late 1800's, importing actions, rifles and shotguns and retailing them in South Africa.
    You can find a bit about them in the book "The Cape Gunsmith" or "Die Boer se Roer tot Vandag"
    Your shotgun is one of the generic shotguns imported and marketed by this family of gunsmiths, so the marker should be refered to as a "J.S.F. Botha" strictly speaking.
    As for who really made it overseas, I don't have my proofs book here, but likely one of the European (probably British) gunmakers. Average quality, and as you said..should only be shot with BP loads.

SXT

Speak to the old man at Kruit Vat in roodepoort , I have seen similar at he's shop and if I am not mistaken he is the auther of Die boer se Roer

User

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it. Will continue to have fun with it!

User

The Botha family (Cape gunsmith and re sellers) had a sweetheart relationship with Greener of Birmingham. Of all the Botha's I've examined and with the exception of the very first rifles assembled locally from re cycled parts (Oom Frikkie's guns), all parts used in the guns built/assembled by them came from Greener. Later, complete guns were imported by the Botha's from Greener, with the Both name stamped or engraved on them.

Have a good look at the barrels. Somewhere on the bottom, you should see a very small 'GG' stamp on them somewhere. This was Greener's mark.

BTW, you have a very nice (and valuable) gun there. Congratulations.

User

Yes I agree I also think its a Greener, my grandfather had one too, damascus barrels etc.

User

Thanks guys for the replies I will swing by Dr. Potgieter one Saturday and have him take a look at it.