Top cop stabbed to death

February 10 2011 at 10:31am
By Mogomotsi Magome
http://www.sundayindependent.co.za/t...eath-1.1024138

A colonel in the SAPS was yesterday killed during what appeared to be a random armed robbery on the banks of the Apies River along the DF Malan Drive near Capital Park.

The colonel, who cannot be named as his next of kin have still to be informed, was accompanied by a Zion Christian Church pastor when they were attacked by two men.

Police were still trying to piece together evidence that could be gathered on the scene, but it appeared the attackers fled without a trace.
The pastor survived the attack, but the colonel was stabbed several times as he fought off one of the attackers.

The pastor was robbed of two cellphones, but it was still unclear what the robbers had taken from the colonel, who was based at the SAPS head office in Pretoria.

Tshwane Community Safety head General Mahlomola Manganye said the area was dangerous and that people had been warned to avoid walking in the vicinity.

Police have also warned that robbers usually target pedestrians who use it as a shortcut on their way to the train station near the Tshwane University of Technology’s Pretoria West campus.

“The metro police and the Pretoria Central police will keep patrolling this area to ensure the safety of those who pass here, but we advise people to stay away,” said Manganye.

The pastor - who was still shaken by the incident and may not be named for fear of identifying the victim - said the attack happened very quickly.
“They were both carrying knives and each went for their victim.
“While we were observing the water to see if it was suitable for baptism, they just appeared from nowhere and charged towards us.

“He (the colonel) was fighting hard with the other man so I suspect he also injured him.

“one of the attackers pushed me to the ground and searched me for my possessions.

“When he was done with me and I was still on the ground he went toward the two men fighting and that’s probably when the colonel was stabbed to death,” he said.

A police officer on the scene said it appeared one of the suspects was also injured as there was a trail of blood in the direction where the suspects are believed to have fled.

The pastor said he ran towards the busy DF Malan Drive and stopped a police van which was passing by to alert them of the crime.
Police were yesterday still trying to find the colonel’s family, who are believed to live near Rustenburg in North West.

They were also investigating the scene of the crime for any potential clues that may lead them to the suspects.

By late yesterday no suspects had been arrested.
Anyone with information can contact the Crime Stop on 0860 10111. - Pretoria News

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Well done for fighting back!

Condolences to the family.