User

Default Firearms sales in US continuing upward.

"NEWTOWN, Connecticut -- Despite a weak economy and slumping retail sales, firearm sales continued to increase in January, continuing an upswing that began after November's election.

Data from the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) show background checks on the sale of firearms jumped 28.8 percent in January when compared to January 2008. The increase follows a 24 percent rise in December and a 42 percent jump in November, when a record 1,529,635 background checks were performed.

FBI background checks are required under federal law for all individuals purchasing firearms from federally licensed retailers. These checks serve as a strong indicator of actual sales.

"Since the election, sales of firearms -- in particular handguns and semi-automatic hunting and target rifles -- are fast outpacing inventory," said Steve Sanetti, president of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), the trade association for the firearms and ammunition industry. "Americans are clearly concerned about their ability to be able to purchase these products in an uncertain future."

NICS reported 1,213,885 checks in January, up from 942,556 in the same month a year ago. Last year, a total of 12,709,023 background checks were reported, up 14 percent from 2007. "

User

Default Re: Firearms sales in US continuing upward.

NICS reported 1,213,885 checks in January, up from 942,556 in the same month a year ago. Last year, a total of 12,709,023 background checks were reported, up 14 percent from 2007. "

A pity the CFR can't boast about this sort of efficiency when processing renewals and new applications :-\

Yup, the CFR probably squeezes 1 check for every 100,000 they do md217

I read on another forum that there is a backlog of about 100 000 Glock's in the states and many dealers haven't had 9x19 Glocks in stock for quite a while. This info was apparently given to Todd Green by a Glock employee. Does that sound accurate ikor? That's a lot of guns. confused0068
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    I read on another forum that there is a backlog of about 100 000 Glock's in the states and many dealers haven't had 9x19 Glocks in stock for quite a while. This info was apparently given to Todd Green by a Glock employee. Does that sound accurate ikor? That's a lot of guns. confused0068
    Could be...I can't really say but I am sure they are back ordered on the 9mm models in all sizes. I just picked up a nice little G26 the other day from a guy private sale and had to pay about $50 more than it would have sold for a year ago, but I was happy to get it. From what little I go to the stores here they do seem to have the large framed Glocks in stock as well as a few of the G22s but most all else in 9mm or .40 is selling as fast as they get it in. Then too, some of the figure you quoted might be LE orders that are backed up in the system.

What is selling like cold beer on a hot day here is 'tactical' style rifles and both upper and lower receivers for the ARs...ditto for any short barreled shotgun, and ammunition.

Like they say...'The Second Amendment Ain't About Duck Hunting!' fighting0002
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

i bought 15 magazines for my glock 19 before all this!

i also specifically bought a sig p225 in case they tried legislation that (Massachusetts has) prohibits a pistol originally designed to take more than a ten round magazine (225 takes 8).

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    i bought 15 magazines for my glock 19 before all this!

i also specifically bought a sig p225 in case they tried legislation that (Massachusetts has) prohibits a pistol originally designed to take more than a ten round magazine (225 takes 8).
    Now...if you are running low...you need to focus on ammo. Damned near impossible to find any JHP stuff in any service caliber and even FMJ is running low. If you can find a place that will ship to MA get it online...if not, well, I have heard rumors that guys may have driven to PA and bought ammo. ;D

BTW...stay away from +P+ loads (+P or standard velocity is OK) in your 225. Great little pistol but the slide velocity and single stack mag do not play well with the really high pressure loads...feeding issues.

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

I'm actually in New jersey which bans hollow points. But thanks for the advice on the p225. i didn't know that because I thought that european 9mm loads (mine is an ex German police pistol) were way hotter than US loads. I shoot it alot better than my Glock 19 that being said. Thanks for the heads up!

I stock piled plenty of 9mm fmj for that reason. Two years ago it was 8 bucks a box. Now is 15. > 38 special was 10 bucks a box and now its over 20!!

Quote Originally Posted by Francis
    I'm actually in New jersey which bans hollow points. But thanks for the advice on the p225. i didn't know that because I thought that european 9mm loads (mine is an ex German police pistol) were way hotter than US loads. I shoot it alot better than my Glock 19 that being said. Thanks for the heads up!

I stock piled plenty of 9mm fmj for that reason. Two years ago it was 8 bucks a box. Now is 15. > 38 special was 10 bucks a box and now its over 20!!
    As I understand NJ law (and I am NOT an expert) JHPs are fine to either shoot at the range OR to load with and use in the home...just not for CCW outside the home (not that any 'common' person could ever get a NJ CCW permit!)
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!