Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default new rule on dry firing

I was recently informed that because of an AD during a SADPA shoot, caused by the shooter and the SO not checking the weapon properly, no all shooter have to dry fire their weapons after showing 'clear'.

my beef is that most handguns are not designed to be dry fired, so now because of the incompetence of the few, i have a very real chance of destroying my one and only pistol, all in the name of sport. and when i pointed out that it is not good practice to dry fire a handgun I was informed, that if I did not like it I could go.

Default Re: new rule on dry firing

This procedure is standard in every shooting sport I have ever participated in. I have been shooting IDPA for a couple of years and this has always been the procedure. It's good practice as a final check. Modern handguns are quite safe to dry fire. (Rimfires excluded)

Dryfire practice is also good training.

If you are that concerned, buy a spare firing pin. Carry the spare in the gun, shoot the other.

What gun is it?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

What does the rules of IDPA say? In IPSC you have to "Dry Fire" after showing clear and when I did participate in IDPA this was aslo applied.

What handgun do you have?

SSP is correct. Dry-firing is the final safety check before holstering unless the COF or SO specify otherwise.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Yip - I have shot IDPA and IPSC and Dry fire is the practice for Final safety.
    Why would be "dry firing" s gun not be good for it?

Quote Originally Posted by christo
    The reason I have always been given was that the firing pin would encounter no resistance as there is no primer to strike. Thus the momentum that the pin has built up will not be arrested and the firing pin would travel further out of the firing pin housing than it was designed to. It makes sense to me. I don't dry fire shotguns (I use snap caps) and I avoid dry firing bolt action rifles. I have no qualms though about dry firing my Glock. Interestingly though in the manual for my LM5 it says to avoid dry firing as it may damage the firearm!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD
    Quote Originally Posted by christo
    The reason I have always been given was that the firing pin would encounter no resistance as there is no primer to strike. Thus the momentum that the pin has built up will not be arrested and the firing pin would travel further out of the firing pin housing than it was designed to. It makes sense to me. I don't dry fire shotguns (I use snap caps) and I avoid dry firing bolt action rifles. I have no qualms though about dry firing my Glock. Interestingly though in the manual for my LM5 it says to avoid dry firing as it may damage the firearm!
    Depends on the gun. Glocks, for instance, have to be dryfired to strip.

AKs, LMs and other long guns without hold opens are designed to be dry fired on the last shot.
    Havamal

i would like to know why this is considered the "last saftey check" if the other visual checks have note been carried out properly , you are now going to have an ID (Idiot Discharge). futer more i want to know how many other manufacturers, other than glock recomend dry firing as normal practice, can someone give me a list complete with web addresses. this is why some more advanced side arms come with "Hammer Drops"

Quote Originally Posted by ed rossiter
    i would like to know why this is considered the "last saftey check" if the other visual checks have note been carried out properly , you are now going to have an ID (Idiot Discharge).
    Perhaps, but it will be in a safe direction and will stop in the bank. Lets consider the alternative: you leave a round in the chamber and no one notices, you bend over/run/jump/breakdance/whatever and your gun falls ot on the range, goes off and shoots someone. Whats preferable? Dryfiring and maybe buying a couple of extra firing pins or going to a fellow shooter's kids funeral which you caused?

Quote Originally Posted by ed rossiter
    this is why some more advanced side arms come with "Hammer Drops"
    No. This is to lower the hammer on a live round.
    Havamal

User

And using the hammer drop in other word is not going to be the final step in the safety check procedure.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast