Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Do you shoot your carry gun?

How often do you shoot your carry piece and how many rounds do you put through it? Also, are you as confident/comfortable with your carry handgun as you are with your other sporting/hunting firearms? If not, why don't you practice with your carry gun more? It would be a horrible surprise to find your SD handgun does'nt work when it needs to, would'nt it?
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Do you shoot your carry gun?

I don't shoot my carry gun as much as I used to - which is a good thing.

My primary sport gun is also a Glock though so the trigger time I get with that applies to my carry piece.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Not as often as I should, but then again, I carry my sporting pistols quite regularly these days.

Also, just like SSP said, my primary carry piece is a USPc. My IDPA ESP gun is also a USP, hence the same platform.

I shot my carry gun a while ago at a IDPA clubshoot for some practice and I was amazed at how fast and reliable I can shoot it after many months. Good for the confidence levels!!

This thread makes me want to shoot the baby Kelevra like in right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLA!!

My personal preference is "Shoot what you carry, and carry what you shoot". As far as possible I do this. Slight problem for me right now as it is me and my son shooting and there is a Glock 17 and a Vektor SP1. The plan is to phase the Vektor out and replace with another Glock and thus have one platform which will be carry and sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    My personal preference is "Shoot what you carry, and carry what you shoot". As far as possible I do this. Slight problem for me right now as it is me and my son shooting and there is a Glock 17 and a Vektor SP1. The plan is to phase the Vektor out and replace with another Glock and thus have one platform which will be carry and sport.
    I agree, but I also believe its important to be proficient wiht all platforms, even revolvers. Who knows what you will encounter next?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    I agree, but I also believe its important to be proficient wiht all platforms, even revolvers. Who knows what you will encounter next?
    +1 General skill at arms increases your lethality and your ability to adapt.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    +1 General skill at arms increases your lethality and your ability to adapt.
    My aim to to get a standard platform, but whenever someone just hints "Do want to try my new *******", I definately do not say 'NO', I say 'Yes, Yes and Yes'. I agree that it is beneficial to have knowledge of as much as possible as you never know what might land in your hand when the 'chips' are down....

User

I try shoot a couple of matches a year with my carry gun just to keep in practise under a bit of pressure. Most of my shooting with my Glock 17 which is one of the reasons I am such a big fan of the system approach to pistol choice. Trigger time with my 17 is very similar to trigger time with my 23.

ME 2.
    i shoot my carry gun twice a year, SAD hey?

Another issue is that you also do not want to shoot your carry gun to much and would like to keep it in Tip Top shape. Serious competition and practise shooting is a wear and tear factor that I would prefer to keep away from the SD gun. Therefore my aim to get the SD and the competetion/practice platform the same. Yes the SD gun must be used and 'broken in' to ensure it is functioning proporly but after that it should be 'nursed'. Just my opinion...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast