Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tikka T3 Tactical suitable for hunting?

Hi

It seems as if Tikka rifles are in abundance not only in South Africa but also in the USA, judging by the many reviews, blogs and forums in which these rifles are discussed. Certainly, you find far more information on them than on, for example, Sako's or Steyr Mannlicher rifles. I suspect that a large reason for this is the greater affordability and thus greater distribution of the Tikka.

Recently, the Tikka T3 Tactical has become the subject of my attention. After preliminary studies, I see that it is very similar to the Tikka T3 Supervarminter. The only significant differences - and I would describe them as advantages - on the side of the Tactical, is that the barrel is blued/matted (whatever you call the darkening process) compared to the Supervarminter's ugly stainless steel, it has a Picattiny rail for scope mountings, and it has grooves for an optional suppressor at the muzzle.

Essentially, therefore, the Tikka T3 Tactical would seem to be similar in all functional areas to the Supervarminter. My preference goes to the darkened appearance of the Tactical, so my question is then, would the Tactical - say in .308 - be perfectly suitable to bushveld hunting in South Africa, or would it have some drawbacks?

I see it weights 3.6kgs with a 20 inch barrel, and 3.7kgs with a 23 inch barrel. Is that heavy for a hunting rifle? In my recollection, the Steyr Pro Hunter is also around 3.5kgs. True, the Sako Hunter comes in at 2.9kgs, but to me that makes it quite light and probably prone to more felt recoil.

To the experienced riflemen and hunters out there, would the Tikka T3 Tactical be a suitable hunting rifle? My hope is for an affirmative answer, since I would also want to use it for sportshooting purposes. If it doubles as a fit for both functions I would be most satisfied. But I would not want to be disadvantaged on a long hunt through the veld in any way.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Default Re: Tikka T3 Tactical suitable for hunting?

I think it would be great, I like heavy rifles. 3.7kg is not heavy, I think it's perfect

The function of a hunting rifle is to kill your quarry as fast as possible. Simplistic as this seems it holds true. If you are comfortable carrying the rifle and can shoot it accurately from field positions and it is of the appropriate calibre, with the right bullets -No Matchking on game ever!. Then there is no reason why the Tactical would not serve both purposes.

What I'm asking, I guess, is what the ideal weight for a bushveld hunting rifle is. It seems to me that the extra weight the T3 Tactical adds due to its Tactical heavy barrel, is pretty much cancelled out by its synthetic stock, which is significantly lighter than a normal wooden stock.

So just what is the weight range for the average hunting rifle? Isn't it normally between 3 and 4kg's? In which case 3.6kg's sounds just right?

I am not much of a hunter but I prefer light, short, slick carbine size bolt guns. 'Weight' may or may not matter as much as balance I think. Many heavy barreled rifles with composite stocks will be very muzzle heavy. Some guys like that and others don't. I prefer a neutral or slightly butt-heavy balance but then I own only a single bolt hunting rifle...a Ruger lightweight carbine (20in. barrel) in .308. It has killed everything I wanted to so far but the only head of African game it has taken was a rooibok at around 150 meters...one shot from braced sitting using a 165gr Federal Bitteroot Bonded bullet.

With Leopold 2X7 scope it weighs maybe 7lb-7.5lb or so...probably not more than 3.5 kilos. Remember, the weight of the 'ready to go' rifle also includes scope, rings, sling and all the trimmings. Recoil in .308 is mild. I have a friend with the same rifle in .30-06 and it is an ass kicker!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Thanks Ikor. I am also leaning towards the .308, for that very reason. I didn't consider the front heavy balancing issue. That may be a drawback if you're carrying the rifle through the bush all day long.

User

Yes it would work well but lighter rifles carry easier on prolonged walks.

I prefer short barreled hunting rifles although there is a bit of velocity loss involved. Hunting in bushveld conditions I find a little less velocity most always not a bad thing.

I am not an expert in the velocity theories but I think one looses about 40ft/sec (as a sort of an average) for every inch the barrel is shorter. So a 168gr bullet @ 2650ft/sec from a 24" barrel could relate to around 2490ft/sec from 20" barrel and this imo not too important at bushveld ranges of up to 175meters or so. I think the shorter barrels become more of an issue when large case capacity is combined with a slower burning powder.

In .308 there are many Tac and hunting rifles with 20" barrels that work very well.

I shoot reloaded 155gr Hornady bullets at 2620ft/sec from my Steyr Elite with a 20" barrel. For bushveld I would go a bit heavier to 180gr bullets or similar.

With a 165gr I would get around 100ft/sec less in vel and with 180gr probably another 100ft/sec less in vel. A 2400ft/sec muzzle vel with 180gr bullets in .308 will do nicely in the bushveld and will result in very little meat damage.

User

The weight distrubution on heavy barrelled rifles sometimes makes these rifles akward to shoot offhand, dont think thats the ideal situation in the bushveld where fast shooting is sometimes required.

Why do you want a heavy barreled hunting rifle?

User

Anomander can answer but what I have read from his posts is that he wants a dual purpose rifle - tact/target that he can also use for hunting? :)

User

Just had a look at the rifle and it does look good, Ive always been a sucker for the tactical look. I cant really see anything wrong with it, except the detachable magazine - not perfect for hunting. My Sako 75 has a detachable magazine and I've never had any problems with it though, I have had read of hunters dropping it by accident and losing game that way.

The .308 is a good choice for hunting/sport shooting. For the bushveld I would like the extra weight of the 200gr bullets that the 30-06 offers, but there is nothing wrong with 180grainers from a .308. It is a fantastic longrange round.

Read an article about the tikka by Chuck Hawks - he had quite a few things to say about it. Google tikka and read chuck's article, he might shed better light than mine on the subject.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast