Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sports adventure Shooting, Ellisras. Each One Teach One.

Dr Willie Barnard has kindly invited the Sport adventure Shooting "crew" to the ‘Knapskoot’ shooting range in Ellisras to demonstrate what SaS is all about and, conduct level 1 testing on 12 March 2011.

26 people have signed up to attend the session.
    Of which 20 or so will be trying out for the level 1 “patch”.

I am pleased that a few ladies are going to attend & will be trying out for the Level1 as date no ladies have attempted it.

Basically Level 1 consists of a 3.2km hike with a rifle & 150 round of ammo, some basic first aid items, and two liter of water , and a few other items.
    The participants have 40 minutes in which to complete the hike.
    Thereafter they will have to place 10 shots on 230mm diameter target from 100m within 4 minutes (For shoulder stock pistol & Roni etc the shooting has to be done from 50m)

Following the shooting they then have 15 minutes to field strip, clean & re-assemble the firearm

Those who complete the test are awarded the Level 1 patch for 2011.

One of the objectives of the EOTO is to demonstrate to individuals that they need to be train order to better protect themselves & their families.

My grateful thanks to Dr Barnard for the invitation, as well as the Sports adventure Shooting regulars, Robert, Sean & Bushboy who make this possible.

Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Default Re: Sports adventure Shooting, Ellisras. Each One Teach One.

I am so looking forward to this.

Sean
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    I am so looking forward to this.

Sean
    Craig, Sean, Robert and Steven its going to be a great weekend. Enthusiasm is running high here. Looking forward, 8 days to go!!

Sports adventure Shooting

Ellisras Each One Teach One (EOTO) & demo.

11 & 12 March 2011

Number of attendees. 25, four of which were ladies.
    Age’s 23-60
    Temperature; 20-35 degrees. Humid, early breeze in the morning.

Caippa aka “Rabobi” (Spider man)
    Sean Murphy aka “Seun”
    Grobbie aka “Agent Orange’ or “Mean Mr MustardGas”
    Bushboy
    H-Man
    Camo762

We arrived late due to being stuck in traffic for two hours in Pretoria.
    South Africans appear to have a serious intent to wipe themselves out, ‘specially on a Friday

We arrived s the sun had just set, we quickly organized ourselves and began with the night shoot.
    We did pistol drills & from 3, 5 & 10meter static & moving, either with handheld torches or headlights.

The inability to properly identify targets, see front sights etc exacerbated by gun smoke, was ‘interesting’.

An invitation to a gunfight is unwelcome, more so if it takes place at night.
    All the basics of shooting, moving & reloading are more difficult to do in the dark, couple this with holding a torch then one is essentially restricted to holding the torch with one hand & the pistol in the other.

We then did rifle drills, at the 5m, 10 & 50m. Same problems are encountered as with handgun, but more.
    More smoke, less visibility.
    Shooting a rifle holding a torch sucks!
    Ideally ones garden should be able to be lit up like a Christmas tree so one can identify, acquire & engage targets from within the safety of ones home.

The next day the Crew was up & ready at 05h30.
    Rhabobi was our de-moralizing officer of the day :to:
    With all level 1 kit one rifles he took us for a 600meter jog, made us do 10 nasty pushups & followed by some unkind grappling followed by another ugly jog back to the house.
    Having completely de-moralised us we were ready for the day! phew

Participants started to book in for the Level 1 qualification.
    First detail was away by 07h26
    By 10h00 all the details were back and completed the shooting and had cleaned their rifles.

The walk was very different compared to “Funky Town’, very soft dry & loose sand made walking arduous.
    Shooting was completed with out incident, interestingly, all of the rifles were scoped, hunting rifles and necessitated reloading by hand.
    There were also two lever action, a Rossi 357/38 carbine & a Marlin .22lr. These did the shooting from 50 meters

One bolt action rifle had a stuck case issue, but was sorted out with the kit available.

Some shooters had excellent groups, but off the target!
    Those who did not get their 10 shot on, were given another 4 minutes to try again, but only after a fast 100m jog to get the heart rates up again.

With regards to the cleaning, it appears that cleaning a bolt action in the field should take between 6-8 minutes. Cutting patches to appropriate size before hand is big help.

After this a drinks break was held.
    The group was then split into two details.
    Knife exercises were conducted under the under the capable eye of Rhabobi assisted by Seun
    Bushboy ran the handguns detail assisted by Camo.

After about an 1.5 hours details were swapped. By now it was baking hot, but we pushed on while the knife detail continued to train in the shade…..

This was followed by lunch. Dr Barnard truly has one of the best-organized Shooting Range clubhouses I have come across.
    In one corner is a examination bed to treat any injured souls along with a wall mounted blood pressure testing equipment.
    Fridges filled with water that cooled all drinks to perfection, lots of chilled water was available. Toilet & showers were spotless. A white board and tables & chairs makes it a wonderful lecture room too. Shade net screen doors kept the temperature bearable.

Following lunch the patches & certificates were awarded.

A new record was set when two ladies to completed the L1.

Dr Willie Barnard gave us a lecture & practical demonstration concerning the use of a tourniquet.
    Soon every body had a limb with rubber wrapped around it.
    A tourniquet certainly causes a lot of pain!.

As it had cooled down slightly we traipsed off to 15 mark.
    Vehicles were parked parallel to the targets. Participants were then shown how to use the vehicle as cover shooting strong & weak side.

Final demo from the Sports adventure crew was F& M starting @100m, Everything was done safely & it appeared to impress the onlookers. Our communication still is not up to scratch. More practice is needed.

At around 16h30 it was time for the much anticipated Boer vs Brit shoot.
    The SaS crew adopted the name of “Bullers Barstid’s” we were up against and “De Wets Donders”.
    Pride and Gunsite Credibility were at stake!
    Were we to be exposed as a keyboard Kommando?

After approximately 57 seconds of noise, gunsmoke & dust “Bullers Barstid’s” knocked down the all their plates, beating “De Wets Donders” by a shaving of a second.

There was much whooping & Cries of Huzzah!
    Bushboy, Seun & Agent Orange had done Gunsite proud!
    Three cheers were said for the Queen (Elton John)
    However it was pointed out to us that though we had finished first, De Wets Donders had W.O.N...

(We await a Heliograph from Ellisras, demanding a rematch……)

Things wound down after that as we all looked forward to a cold beer (s).
    We were exhausted, dirty & stinking to high heaven.
    It had been an extremely physical day

Never has a six pack tasted better or gone down as quick as it did that night.

My grateful thanks to Dr Willie Barnard for arranging everything & a tip of the hat to
    Bushboy, Rabobi, Sean, Grobbie & H-man for their commitment to seeing SaS growing as a sport.

The Level 2&3 trial will be held in two weeks time.

Regards
    Camo
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Dr Willie is a legend. A wealth of knowledge, experience and very passionate about his sport and the wildlife!

User

This was the best weekend I have had in a long time. The setting and hospitality was first class. We trained hard and shared a lot of knowledge with our new friends from the bushveld. Looking forward to the next one.

A challenge to a rematch on the Boer vs Brit will be welcomed.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    We did pistol drills & from 3, 5 & 10meter static & moving, either with handheld torches or headlights.
    Headlights as in vehicle headlights or as in those torches that attach to the head with elastic harnesses?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

It sure was a very enjoyable weekend.
    We learnt a lot, and it was a pleasure having these guys from the "voorwereld" with us.

The Boer vs Brit was a close call, but the De Wet's donders never claimed that they had won.
    A telegram was sent, but the heliographist was drunk(again) on London gin. That is why the Bullers bastids are unaware of the message.

Here is the telegram (verbatim) as sent on 13 March:

"Veldtelegraafdienst der ZAR:
    Aan : Bullers Bastids.
    Nederlaag erkent. De stryd duur voort.
    Van : De Wet's Donders."

We hope this shows once and for all that though a battle was lost, the War is far from over!

Thanks to Craig, Steven, Robert, Sean, Grobbie and Hennie, for traveling that far to share with us.
    (And dont forget Firearms festival on 27 August 2011)

Willie Barnard

User

Yes, those attached to the head.

Turns out they very good for braai duty, not so good for shooting, especially the rifles. Weapon mounted lights are a big plus.

We also picked up that a light that gets turned on and off is much more of an issue to track. Even the strobe was not as effective in messing with your eyes.

User

What an Awesome weekend spent with like-minded Warriors

I had the opportunity to share some of my insights on various edged weapon carry positions, structural stopping power and various easily retained techniques/drills with all the participants. I am not going to get into the 'nitty-gritty' of exactly what was covered but I am quite confident that those in attendance had fun and retained the majority of the information presented.

A VERY Special thanks goes out to:
    - Dr Willie for being such an outstanding host and sharing your vast knowledge on All topics
    - Camo762 for your tireless efforts in promoting SAS and helping provide critical life-saving skills.
    - Bushboy, Sean, Grobbie and H-Man for your constant dedication and focus to the task at hand. Together with Camo762 you guys are a Very well-oiled machine and I am humbled every time we get to both train and spend time together.

Some pics to follow soon!

Kind Regards,
    RobertC
    www.pdssa.webs.com
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast