Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg 500

User

Default Mossberg 500

Hi all,

I was given a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel and pistol grip. Now I would like to buy a full stock and 28" barrel for it so I can use it for hunting ect. Anyone know where I will get another barrel?

Regards

User

Default Re: Mossberg 500

I'll sell you mine if you really want it.

User

Keep the 18" Mossberg and rather get a good O/U or a semi Auto..
    You cant really hunt birds with a pump action.. You will soon see if you give it a try
    the pistol gripped Pump action that you now have is perfect for 3gun shooting .. so join a club soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Gidsie View Post
    Keep the 18" Mossberg and rather get a good O/U or a semi Auto..
    You cant really hunt birds with a pump action.. You will soon see if you give it a try
    the pistol gripped Pump action that you now have is perfect for 3gun shooting .. so join a club soon...
    Huh?

Maybe it is a legal thing, but if not, I would say that millions of US bird hunters would happily disprove your statement that you 'can't really hunt birds with a pump'. As would lots of guides in the dove fields of Mexico and Argentina, etc. not to mention bazillions of dead quail, doves, pheasants, chukkars, partridge, turkeys, ducks and geese.

A good pump will kill whatever bird you want as dead as the nicest OU or SXS ever made.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I have a pump, and yes I do hunt birds with it and yes it works okish.. but my score is about 15/22 on clays where with a Miroku its close to a 20/22
    You are gonna have to bend down between the sunflowers and look for all your empty shells yourself..
    Your not gonna enjoy the scratching of the sunflowers against your face all day as you look down.. looking for shells..
    On your second shot, which is normally a further shot, your gonna lose track of the bird and it makes things very difficult
    A ribbed 30" barrel will help a lot, but your gonna really struggle to find one..
    Multi Chokes are not easily fitted to pump action barrel shotguns, unless Bruce Wensel of Valley Trading is really up to it on the day.
    Your buddies shooting with you on the day (clays or birds) arent really gonna trust you all day and you will be shooting at the end of the field..
    Every time you bend down to pick up a bird or a shell, I will be wondering if you have one in the barrel and where your finger is..
    In short... your not gonna feel welcome

"And thats why I sayed you will soon see if you tried..."
    BUT ask ikor says.. "A good pump will kill whatever bird you want as dead as the nicest OU or SXS ever made."
    Just not the whole story..

So I can't just wait until a lull or the end of the day and pick up all my hulls then?

Second shot? You can't be serious???

Maybe you just don't know the right people but multi chokes are easier...not more difficult...to fit to pump or autoloader barrels. And any barrel must have enough 'beef' in it or nobody is gonna fit one that will stay for long.

Shooters using doubles can't do something stupid like have the safety off and finger on the trigger? C'mon bru...you know better than that. All doubles do not have auto safties nor selective ejectors.

Not welcome...well there you have me. I have seen the snob crowd try and keep out far better shooters who can't afford to play the double-gun game, and God forbid they be able to shoot 3 to 6 times before a reload!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

You will soon see if you give it a try
    No it isnt. You must have shoulder stock.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    No it isnt. You must have shoulder stock.
    Unless you have really, REALLY short arms and an enviable capacity to absorb recoil inflicted pain...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

I have a pump, and yes I do hunt birds with it and yes it works okish.. but my score is about 15/22 on clays where with a Miroku its close to a 20/22
    You are gonna have to bend down between the sunflowers and look for all your empty shells yourself..
    Your not gonna enjoy the scratching of the sunflowers against your face all day as you look down.. looking for shells..
    On your second shot, which is normally a further shot, your gonna lose track of the bird and it makes things very difficult
    A ribbed 30" barrel will help a lot, but your gonna really struggle to find one..
    Multi Chokes are not easily fitted to pump action barrel shotguns, unless Bruce Wensel of Valley Trading is really up to it on the day.
    Your buddies shooting with you on the day (clays or birds) arent really gonna trust you all day and you will be shooting at the end of the field..
    Every time you bend down to pick up a bird or a shell, I will be wondering if you have one in the barrel and where your finger is..
    In short... your not gonna feel welcome

"And thats why I sayed you will soon see if you tried..."
    BUT ask ikor says.. "A good pump will kill whatever bird you want as dead as the nicest OU or SXS ever made."
    Just not the whole story..
    Everything you said anti the pump applies even more to a semi.

User

A pump will never be as well balanced, pointable or as easy to swing as a double. I have used a pump several times on live pigeons and my hit rate is nowhere near as good as I can do with a modern double, single or muzzleloader. Some of the best shooting I have done with a shotgun was with a little single barrel that I borrowed. I one day managed eight consequetive hits as fast as I could load and fire the gun. This was during a flyover by a massive flock of rockies. On the same day using a Winchester Defender I could not put two consequetive hits together. If I had a choice, a pump would be last on my list of shotguns for bird shoooting.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast