Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Reloading steel cases in 9mm

I am new to reloading, and just noticed that all the cases that I have are S&B brass coated steel.

There are quite a few diverse opinions on reloading steel. On the one hand it seems to be a bit of a no no, and on the other some people most fears are unfounded. Some say the dies will get damaged, others say they won't. Some say they will feature other inconsistencies etc.

I have hundreds of these cases, so it will really be a downer to throw them away, but If I must, I must.. Living in George means I don't always have access to a lot of diverse ammo, in fact, there is only one place to get it, as far as I know.

I am shooting with Glock 9mm. I am going to call my local gun dealer, but I am curious as to what your opinions are?

Thanks.

Default Re: Reloading steel cases in 9mm

HI gizmo,

Are you sure that the cases are steel? I've got a a lot of S&B 9mmP cases and none of them are steel!

User

Yep, says it right on the box. I bought them before I knew anything.

Sorry to sound doff but can you pick them up with a magnet?

If they are steel I'd ditch them ASAP! Mild steel is harder than Brass and will stuff up your dies in quick order!

Find out where the local security company's train and then go around after them & become a brass hound like me! happy0065

User

Yeah I will do the magnet thing. Makes me sad. What is awesome is when I bought them I explained I was going to reload them, the shop owner didn't bat an eye. Joy.

I am with Geoff...if it is steel, get rid of them immediately....

Just remember you also get Nickel Plated cases that remains brass with some plating done to it. These are reloadable but they do not last as long and are more prone to problems.

User

Steel cases are hard on the extractor and other parts of the gun it comes in contact with. I would not use it.

User

Steel out then. Pity, I have so many :( Oh well, ordered some PMP's instead. Grrrr.

Thanks guys.

Hold on to those case for another day. I just need to check a S&B box at home tonight.

IIRC, the box says "steel case", but it actually refers to the bullet being a FMJ. Just let me check tonight first. No reason to waste perfectly good brass, cause the guy doing the lettering on the box doesnt know anything ;D

User

I sat and went through my cases last night with a magnet. Half of them only have S&B and a few other letters on the headstamp, and these are indeed steel. The ones that say S&B Luger and some other bits, are brass.

So I have enough at least to reload about 200 rounds, which will cover me for my current events quite easily. All is not lost :) Now to get a nice ammo bag and a few more trays.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast