Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Cross hand/eye dominance??

Howdy all!

I have a friend who is right handed, but his left eye is dominant. This poses no problem with his hunting/shooting rifles, but when we went to the range and he used my CZ, I nearly had a fit... He's still shooting righthanded, but aiming with his left eye.

Now, the question is, is that OK, should he continue to do this, or is there a way he should rather try to fix the "problem". He is considering buying a Glock or S&W M&P for SADPA...

Any comments/suggestions??

Default Re: Cross hand/eye dominance??

Brian Enos, shooting god, is cross dominant. Check out his forum for what he has to say on the topic.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

My son is one of those creatures and he shoots right handed but left eye. It does look 'funny' but it is just something that the shooter needs to get used to and adjust accordingly. Do not force such a person into something different.

User

I met a friend of Bill W who shoots cross dom and he is an IDPA Master.

User

Alrighty then! Problem, or rather NO problem: solved!

Thanks!

Just my quick input, I have had many students with this condition, note I am not calling it a problem, it is very simple in stead of lifting the pistol to your right eye just lift it to the left and vice versa, really no problem, merely a couple of centimeters difference

User

As long as he hit the target - who cares with what eye het aims. fighting0035

User

My son also like to do this, much to my dismay. Enough trigger time solved the initial accuracy problem.

Shooting shotgun and rifle only from the left shoulder.

I've got that "problem".

In my opinion it does affect your accuracy.

The sights aren't automatically aligned when you bring the firearm up and thus puts some effort in aiming which also gives the tendency to pull the shot to the left, now with practice you would get better, but rather try shooting with the left hand, it feels awkward at first but you will get used to it and its a lot more rewarding and a hell of a lot less embarrassing than missing the target sometimes.

Give it a try it might work for you as it did for me.... you may have to change the mag release catch to a left handed one though.

I have this "condition" and have taught myself to shoot rifle left handed, so no probelm here.

However I have battled with the 1 eye or 2 eye debate for shooting handgun. No matter how hard I train, as soon as that buzzer goes off my right eye closes and for the past 3 years I've shot IDPA, using dom eye only.

In past 9 months I've worked rather hard at getting the 2 eye shooting right. Well at least to a point where I don't have to squint a little to pick up the froint sight and without seeing the entire right side of the Glock. Really off putting, when all you're trying to find is the front white dot!

But now I seem to half close the right eye, it allows the left to pick up the back and front sight easier, there is no right side of the Glock (direct focus line of sight is from directly behind the handgun), but there is still the depth of view, peripheral view adavntage etc.

It seems to be coming right and my speed has increased accordingly.

Just my opinion and experience though!

Any training exercises or pointers, that may help with the 2 eye shooting, would be appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast