Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: My G27 is fooked :(

You really do like to repeat that don't you ? Don't let the facts get in the way of a good line or anything. It's already been discussed that the gun was damaged by overpressure reloads.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    You really do like to repeat that don't you ? Don't let the facts get in the way of a good line or anything. It's already been discussed that the gun was damaged by overpressure reloads.
    There may indeed be a technical point here worth raising... The polygonal rifling makes a better gas seal... tighter gas seal means more pressure is captured for longer in the chamber...

Could it not be the poly barrel which is causing or at least contributing to the over-pressure?

Would a barrel, identical in all other respects bar the rifling not be a better (safer) idea?

Maybe polygonal rifling is just ill-suited to cartridges which incline towards higher chamber pressures(?)
    Last edited by Paul; 14-03-2011 at 21:50.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

No, unfortunately it was a case with too much powder or a dramatically shortened oal.

Ffs with any other gun we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would accept that sometimes dodgy reloads are bad for your gun.
    Last edited by BigT; 15-03-2011 at 07:18.

User

Is it just the barrel? Why not buy an aftermarket fully supported barrel? Then you can shoot lead through it as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by hagar View Post
    Is it just the barrel? Why not buy an aftermarket fully supported barrel? Then you can shoot lead through it as well.
    Oh Dearest Hager, if only it where so simple.

We live under a governmnet which has saddled the law abiding citizens with the most time consuming and draconian firearm registration laws.

So such a solution is about as feasable. timeous and costly as purchasing and registering a brand new pistol.

User

This is true, but I will still probably end up getting me an aftermarket supported barrel for my Glock before the SHTF. Still have a lot of time! I had a thread about this (quite) a while back, specifically around the unsupported barrel of the Glock in 40SW.

@BigT: What you say is true, but there is a lot more hype about Glocks being uber-reliable than any other gun. With a reputatiion like that, of course it's going to be scrutenized to the nth degree. A Tata drives down the road and the gearbox falls out. People won't think twice about it. A Mercedes-Benz drives down the road and the gearbox falls out...
    Last edited by cerop; 15-03-2011 at 07:56.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Ffs with any other gun we wouldn't be having this discussion. We would accept that sometimes dodgy reloads are bad for your gun.
    Actually not. The whole 'issue' of polygonal rifling has been worrying me for some time. I struggle to see the benefits.

They don't appear to be safety. They aren't accuracy, and we know for a certainty that they limit the range of available ammunition. So why do some manufacturers persist with this system?

Is it purely that they are cheaper to manufacture? What then?

Was at the rather pathetic SAAAACA fair at the War Museum on Sunday, and found myself wandering around the remains of the small arms display. The Metford Rifling v Enfield Rifling display caught my eye, and this thread seems to play into this.

---------- Post added at 08:09 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    A Tata drives down the road and the gearbox falls out. People won't think twice about it.
    Oi! Go easy guv. It didn't fall out, it just needed a total fhkn rebuild!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Oi! Go easy guv. It didn't fall out, it just needed a total fhkn rebuild!

No disrespect to the Ox!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
    Oh Dearest Hager, if only it where so simple.

We live under a governmnet which has saddled the law abiding citizens with the most time consuming and draconian firearm registration laws.

So such a solution is about as feasable. timeous and costly as purchasing and registering a brand new pistol.
    Tweets
    Hagar is an expat IIRC. As for a second pistol, you cannot go wrong with a Glock 19.

User

Just for general info chaps - what is the average life of a Glock recoil spring assembly? My G21 factors just above the Somchem starting load, but I am able to use loads at 1.3gr below Somchem starting load in my G35 to compete in IDPA. So taking these loads into account, what should I look at ito replacing these springs?

I know my Vektor SP2 is specced at 10 000 rounds for the recoil spring life - info direct from LIW back then when they still existed.

B3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast