User

Default Value of Competition shooting!

Here is (imo) a worthy statement and quote from Kyle Lamb (Viking Tactics instructor and operator and tactical shooter) form his book Green Eyes & Black Rifles:

"I have also been heavily involved in competition shooting with pistols, rifles, carbines, and shotguns. This competition experience has helped to make me a better-rounded tactical shooter.

Competition is a great place to experience shooting stresses that you might otherwise not experience until the day you become engaged. I, for one. want to feel the stress in competition, know what it feels like , deal with it, and learn from it. Being overcome by events in a tactical crisis is not the time to feel your first dump of adrenaline. So get out there and place yourself in an unfamiliar, stressful environment. It will pay off."

lv29 happy0065

Default Re: Value of Competition shooting!

It's also a good place to test gear. If it doesn't last in a competition damn skippy it's not going to last in a fight.

It's a good place to verify skills and compare yourself against others. It's easy to become complacent and to tell yourself that you are the heat when training on your own.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Yip, those are Worthy additions. Thanks SSP. hpy180

I like competition shooting. I like getting myself worked up and try to get the adrenalin flowing. When the SHTF the adrenalin will be flowing and if you are not used to this, then things might just not go according to plan. The stress that you can induce in competition can help you as you will then be used to operating your firearm under stress.

Abso-freakin-lutely. There's a big difference between going to the range just statically taking your time and running a balls-to-the-wall course-of-fire.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Judging by what said in the article, I should be ok ;D

I can make Sharpshooter after spending the whole morning taking people through the Classifier, trying very hard to be nice while standing in the blazing sun and being given a hard time by most of them!

Actually it's easy, just imagine their faces superimposed over the target ;D Me .... nice... never!

Mental note to self.....never do a classifier with Geoff as the SO....... fighting0035

hpy194 happy0065

And lets not forget that competition shooring is just plain FUN!

Lots of nice guns, shooting, adrenaline and great, like-minded people! Whats not to like happy!?!0065

Any time spent behind the gun is time well spent. Even if you dont win, you will still learn something new at every competition.