Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why CCTV helps

User

Default Why CCTV helps

Hey guys

Recently my little neighborhood shot up to number 2 on my stations list of most crime affected again after my community watch managed to contain it. On Friday morning I had a few more guests.

See video

Here
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

User

Default Re: Why CCTV helps

Eish dude.

User

Damn, that is hectic man!
    Good for you that you guys managed to act on this.

Not lekka. Hope they don't come back for a second visit - on the plus side Wormy, you do seem more prepared than the average Joe. If I may ask, what does a CCTV setup lke that (with recording function) cost? I have the basic CCTV setup with 4 channels that does not record and I am thinking of upgrading.

User

I have 14 cameras up around my house,some against it looking out others away from it looking at the house.I have a 16 channel DVR.The cameras are IR rated to about 40-50m.This coupled to plenty outdoor beams helps you monitor all happenings around your house whilst lying in your bed.It is quite costly but my families lives cost so much more.If I can recall around R1500/cam and around R10k for DVR.Can find exact quote if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Have you considered an electric fence linked to an alarm? That took care of my intrusion problem.

I have an LCD displaying all my perimeter cameras in the passage and it is always on. So when you walk down the passage you automatically look at the monitor. The other night I picked up a BG about to break into a car parked on my neighbours' pavement. Stopped him in time.

User

@vw54 around 5k DIY for a decent 4ch standalone. I do not install PC DVR's anymore as this is the first thing that gets hacked smashed and stolen in breaking's see it far to often Depending on how many camera's you need price may vary. I am trying to get my estate to commit to a remote monitored system but guys are cheap skates until they spotted my footage.

The guys did come back I arrested 1. But had to let him go on trespassing. Doubt he will come back in a hurry but never know. My kit is linked to a buzzer in my room that squeals when they detect motion but for some reason that night it did not only to discover the cable was loose when we moved rooms around in my office. So now its fixed. I have since ordered a few 7" monitors to install around the house to the kit so I can see what is happening all over the show.

@Johnboy I have an electric fence with siren but they managed to lift the bobens really slowly and carefully and were able to crawl through it. The suspect admited he worked for a security shop back when and new about these things..

With cameras avoid some of the stuff on you find cheap check the TVL 420 is decent. I will highly recommend a standalone like the AVtech eagle eye as you can conceal them nicely they don't generate much heat and use way less power.

Also there is a new type of LED out. It is called Blue Led IR. Google it. flippen fantastic product.

I am now busy sorting out the monitoring to a remote control room. Even though I have one with my business I prefer to send my home data to a mates company to avoid any staff issues latter ;-) Guarding business can get tricky at times.

If you need any info shout. I dont plan to sell my stuff here so can out you in touch with decent suppliers and installers if need be. Its really not that difficult and I believe 99% can be done DIY these days.

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    I have 14 cameras up around my house,some against it looking out others away from it looking at the house.I have a 16 channel DVR.The cameras are IR rated to about 40-50m.This coupled to plenty outdoor beams helps you monitor all happenings around your house whilst lying in your bed.It is quite costly but my families lives cost so much more.If I can recall around R1500/cam and around R10k for DVR.Can find exact quote if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
    Thanks G-Force. Don't worry about the exact quote, I just wanted a ball park figure to compare with, I'll probably look at getting the DVR plus a couple more cameras. The cameras I have now are IR rated to 25m if I recall and are suitable for my purposes (small erf).

User

vw54 maybe have a look at topchips.co.za they in the cape and have good kits.

User

Bastards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast