User

Default Ward & Sons Shotgun

Hi all,

I'm struggling to find any info on Ward & Sons shotguns. My father has a W&S dbl shotgun that he inherited from his grandfather, it is old but he has no idea of the exact year of manufacture. I'd like to find out more about the gun but have no idea where to start, there isn't very much info on the internet.

Any and all advice would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
    Craig

Default Re: Ward & Sons Shotgun

Ward & Sons were one of the very many Birmingham gunmakers during the Victorian era. They existed from around 1859 to 1935. Generally they served the cheaper mass-production end of the market. Values for Ward & Sons shotguns generally speaking run from around "Can hardly give it away" to around R4k, condition and model dependent and depending upon who is buying.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Ward & Sons were one of the very many Birmingham gunmakers during the Victorian era. They existed from around 1859 to 1935. Generally they served the cheaper mass-production end of the market. Values for Ward & Sons shotguns generally speaking run from around "Can hardly give it away" to around R4k, condition and model dependent and depending upon who is buying.
    Thanks WZ, much appreciated. Any chance that someone knows how I could find out more about my particular gun? Ie year of manufacture etc...

Cheers
    Craig

User

Craig I have a sidelock marked “H Arthur Ward London”, but I can't say it is the same Ward. But according to Boothroyd’s book “British Gun makers” H Arthur Ward was listed as a Birmingham gunsmith with the following addresses:

1880 – 1895 14 – 15Russel Street,
    1895 – 1900 65 Weaman Street,
    1900 on - 27 Loveday Street Alpha Works.
    In 1910 he was not listed anymore.

I would also like to know more about him.
    Last edited by corriedewilde; 29-03-2011 at 08:09. Reason: Name

User

Sid I have a sidelock marked “H Arthur Ward London”, but I can't say it is the same Ward. But according to Boothroyd’s book “British Gun makers” H Arthur Ward was listed as a Birmingham gunsmith with the following addresses:

User

I have an underleaver non retractable hammers 500 BPE Ward and Sons double rifle, made in 1890. It is intricately decorated and must have been a special order by some distinguished gentleman who hunted both in India and Africa as depicted by the lion and tiger engraved motifs on the rifle. This was the calliber used in that era for such soft skinned, dangerous game. Loaded with 136Gns of black powder, it pushes out a 430 grain head, at a chronied average 2140ft/sec. It is very very accurate at the distance it was meant to perform (between 50-80 meters). Then, i also have a double barreled s/s W&S hammer shotgun (top lever) which i bought at auction for R500, a while back, simply to complement my double, which will set me back aproximately R6k to restore to its former glory. Judging by the shotgun, yes, they did service the average end of the market but looking at the double one can not fault the quality of the workmanship in all areas including the top grade English wallnut. I have also had imense dificulty acquiring information on Ward and Sons...

User

Quote Originally Posted by corriedewilde View Post
    Craig I have a sidelock marked “H Arthur Ward London”, but I can't say it is the same Ward. But according to Boothroyd’s book “British Gun makers” H Arthur Ward was listed as a Birmingham gunsmith with the following addresses:

Hi
    Henry Arthur Ward was my great great grandfather on my fathers side of the family. He was also part of Ward & Sons, being a son of James Ward. He was a shotgun maker and an important whistle manufacturer.
    Kind regards
    Christopher Heaton-Ward

User

Last edited by BBCT; 22-01-2022 at 18:02. Reason: Adding more info & links