Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Advice on choosing a pump action

Gentleladies and men...

I'm looking to start 3-gun shooting and also to join the boys when they go out guinea-fowel hunting. Please gimme some advice on which pump action to buy and what price to look at.

i've thus far seen a mossberg 500 for R1400 (fairly new), and a maverick 88 brand new for R3000.

advise urgently please

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Advice on choosing a pump action

if its just between those two and with that price difference , i will close my eyes and go with the mossberg
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Find a Winchester 1300

The Maverick 88 is nothing more than Mossberg's 'economy line' shotgun, so I would think the standard Mossberg 500 at the lower price would be the better value by far. The 590 is their best pump but it will cost more than the others. My choice in a Mossberg would be their Model #50663, but...

My personal choice would be a Remington 870...a new Police model if you can find one...if not the Wingmaster. Better shotgun by far than the Mossberg or the Winchester. If you got lots of bucks you can get the 870P MAX but my standard models all work just fine.

http://www.maverickarms.com/

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs

http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870standard.htm

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

The reason I say the winchester is I have seen a lot of problematic remingtons and mossbergs but the guys I know with winchesters all love them.

I'm in the process of replacing my Mossberg 500 with a Winchester 1300. I just haven't had any luck with my Mossberg. I've had extraction problems that multiple trips to gunsmiths couldn't solve. Sometimes you just get "one of those".
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    The reason I say the winchester is I have seen a lot of problematic remingtons and mossbergs but the guys I know with winchesters all love them.
    Not doubting you here, but I am curious as to what problems the 870s may have been having. In the states the 870 is by far and away the most used shotgun by LE agencies, and they hardly ever give problems, even after decades of neglect. The 870 has also made a name for itself with the sporting crowd, including those who use pump guns for shooting clays, and none of this would have happened if the basic platform was prone to problems. For many years I was responsible for training with and maintaining some 200 or so 870s at my agency and in all that time we had three that needed repair...one was for a broken firing pin and the other two needed shell stops either replaced or restaked I do not recall which now.

The Winchester is not a 'bad' gun, but I never liked the so called 'speed pump' feature at all.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Not doubting you here, but I am curious as to what problems the 870s may have been having. In the states the 870 is by far and away the most used shotgun by LE agencies, and they hardly ever give problems, even after decades of neglect. The 870 has also made a name for itself with the sporting crowd, including those who use pump guns for shooting clays, and none of this would have happened if the basic platform was prone to problems. For many years I was responsible for training with and maintaining some 200 or so 870s at my agency and in all that time we had three that needed repair...one was for a broken firing pin and the other two needed shell stops either replaced or restaked I do not recall which now.

The Winchester is not a 'bad' gun, but I never liked the so called 'speed pump' feature at all.
    On the 870 front they failed to feed, extract, eject. Barrel nuts would come loose, pins would walk out. Failures to fire. Double feeds. You name it, they pretty much did it. They did it repeatedly with various ammo.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

BigT what model Remingtons gave problems?

The 870 is just about the less problematic pump action shotgun there is imo.

It is interesting to me that professionals in the USA like Ikor and Rob Haught and several others still go for the 870 time and again where they can in fact choose any pump action with all the models and manufacturers available in the US.

A short barreled (14" or so) 870 is a really nice tactical and defensive shotgun. I have seen more than one "tactical" shotgun having hickups on an extensive two day Haught shotgun course. My 870 ran the course and it was Rob Haught's demo gun for the duration of the course so the gun in fact did twice the job of the others on the course with no malfunctions of any kind.

I have used all types of ammo including the old red "paper" cased rounds , short, long, slug, light loads and heavy loads with no problems.

I have had my gun for about 10 years and it was already a couple of years old at the time and came from Scattergun Technologies before Wilson Combat acquired the company.

I recall that the 10-8 instructors are also partial to the 870 platform.

SSP could you illuminate a bit on the 870's you refer to - how many - where they came from/ who's guns - under what circumstances,
    From your post it appears "they" did not work at all which is totally contrary to my personal experience and also as I read it from Ikors perspective with the 200 guns in his agency and several thousand others in continued daily use by LE professionals and trainers in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba
    SSP could you illuminate a bit on the 870's you refer to - how many - where they came from/ who's guns - under what circumstances,
    From your post it appears "they" did not work at all which is totally contrary to my personal experience and also as I read it from Ikors perspective with the 200 guns in his agency and several thousand others in continued daily use by LE professionals and trainers in the US.
    There were about 8 or so 870 express guns belonging to a security company. They were abused but no more than the CBC's, Mossbergs, Mavericks and Winchesters they had in their inventory. Every single 870 gave stick, if I recall.

I believe that Big T and I are referring to the same guns.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast