Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keltec KSG

Banned

Default Keltec KSG

This just got released a couple months ago over here. Dunno what the status of Keltec is in ZA so I'll give a quick lowdown.

Keltec got put on the map with their sub-compact 380's a few years ago and they are immensly popular in the States. They're pretty much invisible in your front jeans pocket. They even offer a belt clip that mates right onto the receiver. Their newer subcom 9mm's aren't substantially bigger. Now they've entered the sg market.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/pr...c-shotgun-ksg/

...pump action, 15 round capacity. Being pump-action, it would be easier to obtain in ZA, no? If so, and you could get it over there, it'd be a great way to "stick it to the man." The ability to toggle back and forth between the 2 magazines is perfect for using mixed ammo types.

Right now I can't justify getting one, even at $800- which is pretty fair considering it's capabilities. I have an 870 Police Magnum and a Bennelli M4 Tactical, so I guess I'm good for now. I'm thinking this is going to need time for R&D to work out some kinks before they become mainstream. The 2 3/4" shell limit isn't too attractive- especially for military and LE applications. Maybe they'll evolve into accepting 3" shells after enough guys complain. I know a lot of dudes are already. They'll accept single 3"ers breech loaded, but that's still kinda lame.

You can see its not w/out its shortcomings, but w/a little fine tuning and end-user feedback, it could become popular.

Default Re: Keltec KSG

Keltec doesnt really feature over here.

We have the Neostead, which is very similar in concept, if not execution to the KSG.

Its heavy, expensive and handles like a bag of ass. Its not very popular over here. In fact I know of only one in private hands (Im sure there are more though) and he got it free.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

I've never heard anything good about them. One thing I can say about the KSG is that Keltec will almost certainly address issues w/it over the next couple years or so. At just over 2 ft and under 7lbs empty, this thing has great potential for breaching and entry teams.

User

I would still rather have a 870 even with the four shot tube every day of the week.

User

Well, if anyone is interested, they've made a few changes...

I know several guys who are on the wait list to get one of these. I'm not one of them. I would certainly have no need for one, although I could see a few limited uses for it in some fields, and I generally don't like bullpup designs. Not that whether or not I like it matters to the makers.

Problem is they still have a lot of refining to go if professionals are going to trust one...even for breaching...and at that cost and weight loaded it is gonna be a pig to carry for something that is only done once in a while.

By all accounts, they have managed to build a very high quality rifle with their RFB...they just can't manage to make enough to sell. I think the KSG may end up the same way...a novelty that is well made, and well out of mainstream design, that...after the new wears off...very few people will spend the money for.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Ikor,
    who is taking names for the waiting list, and ultimately leading the possible future importation??
    Last word I received, is that KSG can't produce enough for the US market, therefore export is not considered 'till later years

Another interesting SG for me is the Mossberg 930 SPX
    Does anyone know if they have made it to SA yet??

I'm in the states, bru so I couldn't say if anyone in SA is doing a list or not. My guess is 'not'. The Mossberg 930 SPX's seem to be rather hit or miss on reliable operation but since I do know Mossbergs are imported to SA I would think someone could get them.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I was told at SHOT by Keltek that they cannot make enough for US demand and will not consider exporting directly until the demand in the US has been met.

User

I checked out the Mossberg 930 SPX and my impression was that it is fairly light weight as combat shotguns go and has good ergos.

Compared to my Benelli M2 I will take the Benelli anytime over the Mossy even with paying a premium in the price. I have not shot the Mossy and I do not know what it will cost but Imo it will cost less than the Benelli.

If you go semi auto get the best.

I hear the Beretta Extrema is also very nice but I prefer the tactical set-up and virtually zero maintenance of the Benelli M2.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast