Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pepper ticks

Banned

Default Pepper ticks

Do any of you outdoors-men have a remedy / muti for pepper ticks? Stopping them from crawling on to you (general insect repellent doesn't work), removing them once they've invaded your bodily orifices and dealing with the tiny itchy "bites" they leave?

User

Default Re: Pepper ticks

tea tree on the bites. I hope you have had tick fever all ready. The 1ste time is the worst. I also hope you know wat the simptoms are

User

Use Bytecol (excuse the spelling). Spray some on your shoes or pants and the peppers will run away. I get mine from our local gunshop in PE.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rudib
    Use Bytecol (excuse the spelling). Spray some on your shoes or pants and the peppers will run away. I get mine from our local gunshop in PE.
    Bytecol?! Never heard of it, will look around thanks. Is it like Dazzle (excuse the spelling)?

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by deonh
    Do any of you outdoors-men have a remedy / muti for pepper ticks? Stopping them from crawling on to you (general insect repellent doesn't work), removing them once they've invaded your bodily orifices and dealing with the tiny itchy "bites" they leave?
    Ticks LOVE me (I'm such a sweet guy even my blood tastes like vintage Bordeaux). I also have this thing about NOT wearing long trousers in the bush...

Now the worst thing about tick-bite fever is that there is evidence to suggest that the effects may be cumulative! IOW damage can become progressively worse with each fever.

So... back to pepperticks >:(

Sometimes when the little swine bite you you don't realise it for weeks. They have gotten into my socks and ring-barked my legs and all I can see is a ring of tiny blisters afterwards, and occasional sweats and a mild headache accompanied by a feeling of 'unwellness'. Draw blood (coz I'm poep scared of Malaria - had that one too many times also...) and all the lab can see is "...something...", but can't say what because I'm generally not in fever when the blood is drawn.

Anyway, so the answer that has worked for me for the last few years of bushveld hunting is short canvass gaitors that cover my boot tops and socks. I spray the gaitors with Doom every night. Works for me, use it, don't use it, whatever...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietskiet
    tea tree on the bites. I hope you have had tick fever all ready. The 1ste time is the worst. I also hope you know wat the simptoms are
    Tea tree, thanks. Haven't had tick-bite fever and the symptoms are similar to A-H1N1 swine influenza virus confused0068 confused0068 confused0068

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by paulatadventures
    Anyway, so the answer that has worked for me for the last few years of bushveld hunting is short canvass gaitors that cover my boot tops and socks. I spray the gaitors with Doom every night. Works for me, use it, don't use it, whatever...
    Thanks Paul, sounds like a practical solution. We got hit BAD this last weekend on a hunt in the Eastern Cape (near J-Bay). Usually ticks don't like me (must be their aversion to single malt in favour of red wine) but this time we all got covered, some worse than others and in worse places than others... md217

Next time I'll be packing the Doom, tea tree, Bytecol and whatever else is suggested on this thread.

User

if the bite mark doesnt heal in 5days after puting on teatree then be cautious. The 1st time i had it i thought i had the flue then after a few day i thought i had flue and blaas infeksie(dont know wat the eng is). I was urinating blood. Atfter 2 days of that i thought i was dieing so i went to hospital. They did some tests and told me in a few days i would be dead if i dont get a blood transfusion. It turns out you get 2 tipes of tick fever. In afr "blou water" that is slow and "rooi water" that is fast. I had the rooi water one. The symptomes are flue like but 10times wors you also have a extremly bad headach. Also check your gums,they wil start to get pale

User

I grew up in "hartwater country" and the only thing keeping the "goggas" off is plain houshold 'Parrafin' used for lamps just rub it on your legs and feet and they wont climb on

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by kdup001
    I grew up in "hartwater country" and the only thing keeping the "goggas" off is plain houshold 'Parrafin' used for lamps just rub it on your legs and feet and they wont climb on
    Sitting too close to the braai fire becomes interesting also...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast