Thread: S&B or Kahles?

User

Default S&B or Kahles?

S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 FD9 Reticle (top) Kahles Helia CSX 1.5-6x42 C-DOT Reticle (bottom)

These are the specific models I am seriously considering at present for a 375H&H. They are very similar in spec (magnification, reticle, etc). I like them both and can't decide on which one to get. That said the S&B cost less than the Kahles. Now should I get the S&B and use the change for good quality bases and mounts or get the Kahles and buy once , cry once?

To all knowledgeable guru's on the forum your input will be greatly appreciated with regard the above scopes.

User

Default Re: S&B or Kahles?

I'd go for the cheaper one... No, wait... There isn't one...

Seriously, do you intend having this scope on a rifle in the bush, or in a cabinet on display? Its money that could rather go towards a trophy hunt, than a trophy rifle.

But I drive a nissan 1400 bakkie, so maybe this isn't a discussion for me. ;)

User

Both are great scopes and you cannot go wrong with either imo.

If you intend to use the scope also as close range optic with 2 eyes open I would suggest that you play with a 1.5 magnification scope and see if you are satisfied with the difference in magnification your dominant eye is going to see over the 1x magnification the non dom eye will see.

For me personally it stuffs around too much with my vision having 2 different picture sizes going to my brain when I have to use an optic for close range fast shooting.

S&B makes the Short Dot which is an excellent 1 - 4.

Leupold makes an very very excellent and high tech 1.1 - 8 x 24 scope http://www.leupold.com/tactical/prod...s-front-focal/ I played with this at IWA and imo this is an excellent scope. The whole rear bezel of the scope turn to change the mag instead of just a ring on other scopes.

If you have a ring and expect to have to switch fast between magnifications you will need a "cat tail" lever to accomplish fast switching.

Trijicon has an excellent 1 - 4 x 24 scope. This is most probably the best buy of all taking into consideration price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by krobar View Post
    I'd go for the cheaper one... No, wait... There isn't one...

Seriously, do you intend having this scope on a rifle in the bush, or in a cabinet on display? Its money that could rather go towards a trophy hunt, than a trophy rifle.

But I drive a nissan 1400 bakkie, so maybe this isn't a discussion for me. ;)
    Definitely in the bush, no point in it being in a display cabinet.
    That nissan 1400 bakkie is like gold boet. I learn to drive in those bakkies, and btw I own one as well. Most reliable bakkies ever, and you can clock up good mileage on them, and that what I intend to do with the rifle and scope.

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 ----------

Khumba that Leupold is mighty expensive, so I figured why not invest on the higher end scopes like the S&B or Kahles.

I have not seen the Trijicons, so will try and get to see them at Huntex and take it from there.

Yousuf;

The Leupold 1x8 and S&B 1x8 Short Dot are brand new scopes and while both companies build excellent optics I would, IMO, let them work any 'bugs' out and maybe refine these a bit on someone else's money rather than mine at those prices. AFIK only a very few are even in police / military hands at the moment. There is, however, a gigaton of well documented information out there on the S&B 1x4 'Short Dot' illuminated scopes and they have stood the test of time and abuse very well. The latest in the line is IIRC the 1x4x24 Short Dot II LE. (The Short Dot II ain't cheap, either!)

This is assuming you want / need a true 1x capability on a bolt rifle. Certainly it is much better for close, fast shots (CQB etc) than a 1.5x as noted by Khumba.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    This is assuming you want / need a true 1x capability on a bolt rifle. Certainly it is much better for close, fast shots (CQB etc) than a 1.5x as noted by Khumba.
    At this point in time, I don't need a true 1 x capability. I got the 375H&H as a practical good all rounder for African game (biggest=eland). As for dangerous game I will look for another rifle(416 or some other big bore)hopefully at a later stage requiring true 1x capability and fast shots and by then the 1x8 bugs if any would be worked out. As I understand it the 1.5-6's are at 6x magnification which is more than adequate for my purpose.

Great advice from Khumba and yourself and I appreciate it, but in my ignorance I should have mentioned what the scopes were to be used for.
    I have been researching plenty of scopes in the last 2 or 3 months (the likes of Leupold, Meopta, Minox, Vortex, Sightron, Zeiss, Duralite,etc..) and with limited stocks at dealers where I stay, brands such as Trijicon, Kahles and so many others that I could not research.

My mind on S&B Zenith was practically 99% set until Khumba mentioned the Kahles on the other thread and it got me all fired up again.

I am impressed with Meopta, but with no one offering any reviews or experiences locally, I looked at scopes that have favourably responses with Leupold being a firm favourite.

Comparing Leupold in terms of similar specs and class the S&B to me is a winner in all respects i.e quality, affordability and so on.

With the mention of Kahles entering the South African market it has now got me in a twist thinking S&B or Kahles, Kahles or S&B, S&B-Kahles.............a bit confusing, I know.

Thanks again guys