Thread: .50 cal

User

Default .50 cal

Good day all i bought a mould (lee) and a resizer (.501) and my ml is still brand new but after i have resized the bullet it fits a bit loose in the barrel i dont think there is enough press. maybe if i use my chrono i might get an idea if the speed drops to much.I didnt fire it yet any help?

User

Default Re: .50 cal

Kevinhills,
    What Lee mould did you buy? If it was the REAL mould, you don't need to resize it. REAL stands for Rifling Engraved At Loading. The ring closest to the tip of the bullet is oversized and need to engrave into the rifling as you seat the bullet. If it's a Minie type bullet (base looks liks an air rifle pellet on streoids) no worries either, because they are purposely undersized to allow for easier seating. On ignition, the explosion forces the "skirt" of the bullet to obturate (seal) the bullet against the lands. Always use pure lead (softest) when casting lead bullets, it will seal off better in the barrel.
    If its neither of these 2 types, take an slightly larger diameter round round fishing sinker and tap it ohalf way into the barrel from the crown side,then rotate it in the barrel using some large pliers. Remove and measure with micrometer. If its .503" for instance, your bullet needs to be sized to .502" to provide a slip fit.
    Remember, even if its feels loose in the barrel, it will obturate properly when the powder is ignited, IF YOU ARE USING PURE SOFT LEAD

User

Hi,
    You did not mentioned what ML you have nor the weight of the REAL. I have the 320gr REAL mould and use pure lead and I don't re-size. My old side hammer (1:48 twist 28 inch barrel) loves them with 80gr SDX-P. My inline [1:28 twist 28 inch barrel] hates them

User

1:28 twist 28 inch barrel is what my .50 knight inline ml have i use pure lead aswell wil weigh the bullet for real weight and will let you know thank