Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Reservists... What's Happening?

I did search the forums, but there doesn't appear to be much new information.

Officially the moratorium seems to be lifted, but it seems the SAPS is formulating new regulations etc.

What would your advice be to someone who is considering this? What is the work environment / situation currently?

Is this article accurate?
    http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.ph...ity&Itemid=113

Any info would be appreciated, thanks guys

User

Default Re: Reservists... What's Happening?

bump

User

A friend of mine was at Potchefstroom police station today and asked about reservists. Aparantly they are taking no new reservists until the new regulations are finalized. But the person he spoke to had no idea how long this would take

i used to work for a few good years as a reservist, let me just say that it comes with its own problems within the service, always no vehicles and yada yada yada. What i read about the changes they want to make with a different uniform etc etc, and making the higher ranking reservist subordinate to even the lowest ranking PF is a sure fire way to make sure all reservists but the most ardent pack their bahs, after all the shit one has t go through to get what one needs to do their job, add this into the mix and you can kiss most of them good bye. The only saving grace i felt was that the PF guys where i was based accepted and respected us and were more then happy that we were willing to give of our time and effort to assist them when shifts ran short and manpower was needed. They were very encouraging and supportive, i saw work in even the more specialized units as well, for me that was the Dog unit, which where i was from at the time we did not have a RH unit so the Dog unit responded to violent crime and took precedent on shift over the uniform branch. I really enjoyed my work and only left once my work did not permit me the time necessary to continue. We were treated no differently, and the only way someone would ahve known that we were reservists is if we told them, otherwise we were introduced by PF members to the public by rank and nothing else. I had access to my Beretta 9mmP which i used when on shift, we also were allocated our own R5's etc and ammo etc etc. We had PF plain clothes branches always willing to allow us to use their vehicles, which we cleaned after shift and filled up with petrol, it was a good relationship. to hear now that they are going to alienate the Reservists is sad, and a sure fire government way of cocking it all up. Treat them no better and no worse then the PF's. They are a valuable resource, these are men and woman, who give of their own time for free and expect nothing in return, people who want to serve their community, i only worked with very decent caring individuals that gave a shit about their communities, and did something to protect and serve them. They were also on time and dressed and groomed well, and were first to respond to complaints and last to leave the scene. I hope that they are allowed to continue to serve their prospective citizens in their cities unhindered by bullshit for much time to come :)

Thanks for the responses so far, I guess it's a game now of wait and see.

User

It's clear that they are phasing out the Reservists, although they will deny it.
    There is no training of Reservists at the moment.
    I would honestly not join up now in the current situation.
    I will be resigning soon after 10 years due to all the BS.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    It's clear that they are phasing out the Reservists, although they will deny it.
    There is no training of Reservists at the moment.
    I would honestly not join up now in the current situation.
    I will be resigning soon after 10 years due to all the BS.
    That is really sad to read MyLani - thank you for your help and service to the community, wherever you are.
    Last edited by Mort; 20-04-2011 at 08:52. Reason: grammar

User

Dude reservist are just getting harder to get into. Rather get in with your CPF. You prob end up doing stupid desk work.
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

i still have an active force number so prob would be much easier to just start active duty again, but who the hell would want to...

User

A batch of about 10 okes (of which two farmers) were trained in Cornelia in the North-Eastern Freestate in two weeks in Feb/Mar.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast