Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Saw this short barrelled (20 inch) bolt action .308 at Formalito's stand at Huntex, and really liked it.

What are your opinions on this rifle? Application would be for situations like in Camo's B.I.R.T. training.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Default Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical

yep Soccie sported a woodie after fondling this as well!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

I was looking for a new tactical rifle about a month ago. I seriously wanted a Rem 700 SPS like the one in question, the one I was looking for just had the 26" barrel. I did alot of research regarding this rifle and was alarmed by the problems they're having. I also handled and shot one for about a week.

Problems with this rifle include:
    • Tiny extractor in conjunction with rough chamber that causes the claw to pop off the case rim leaving the cases stuck in chamber.
    • Bolt handle breaking clean off.
    • The rifle that I used was almost brand new and the matte finish on the bolt was already coming off from working the bolt and looked really shyte.
    • Scope taps drilled skew.
    • Not free floated, and can't be floated.
    • Floppy bendy injection moulded stock.
    Remington's quality control on its cheaper rifles is non-existent, and it's a hit and a miss when buying a SPS. Not a gamble I was willing to take with the hastle of obtaining a licence. One must also remember that the SPS is the cheapie in the states (but not so cheap when it lands in S.A.) and it feels that way. One range master I spoke to in the states say that on competition days, they have a couple of spare Rem 700 extractors because they know someone's is going to break!! I decided on a Howa Varminter, they have awesome build quality, I was sceptical at first but would have kicked myself for buying the SPS instead of the Howa. Also cheap, and when all adds up, with Bell & Carlson synthetic stock the rifle cost me just over R11000 (Rifle was only R9600). It prints like a tack driver.

Just my 2c...
    A pic of another Howa (Ive ordered the same stock, just with a vented fore-arm).

http://www.snipercentral.com/gallery...4f7c340758.jpg

User

Sounds bad, Michaelrp. You're referring to the SPS Varmint, yes? The local gunsmith said he's got a hacksaw, he'll udjust the 26" barrel length and recrown if I should wish to do so. I saw a YouTube where a guy did an action bedding job and free floated the barrel on his. (The gunsmith will probably make a better job of it and it may even cost less that way.)

User

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Sounds bad, Michaelrp. You're referring to the SPS Varmint, yes? The local gunsmith said he's got a hacksaw, he'll udjust the 26" barrel length and recrown if I should wish to do so. I saw a YouTube where a guy did an action bedding job and free floated the barrel on his. (The gunsmith will probably make a better job of it and it may even cost less that way.)
    Yip, the SPS varmint. The way I understand they're almost the same.. Same action, stock and barrel material etc, just a different style of stock with a shorter barrel. Not much price difference either..

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    yep Soccie sported a woodie after fondling this as well!
    + 1

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Im not really a bolt action guy but for my money I'd probably buy a Howa. They can be had for under R5k new with the hogue stock. Spend the change on glass, bipod and ammo.
    I was thinking the same thing!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post
    Saw this short barrelled (20 inch) bolt action .308 at Formalito's stand at Huntex, and really liked it.

What are your opinions on this rifle? Application would be for situations like in Camo's B.I.R.T. training.

The ability to reload quickly either with stripper clips or via a magazine would be ideal

Having said that we have had a gent train with a 3+1 shot rifle.
    He has done both Level 1 & 2 with it no problem.

He is busier than most of us during F&M though...
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Quote Originally Posted by 47 View Post

I really like it a lot. Speaking of a B.I.R.T. type application, does anyone see the fact that it has a hinged floorplate mag as a serious drawback? I think it only takes 5 shots?

I see Camo already raised this issue while I was typing...
    Last edited by burger; 19-04-2011 at 14:48.

With my limited experience with these, the only drawback I could also see might be the magazine type.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if CZ's version is available here:

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/550-UCS/
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Had a look at that CZ that 47 posted the link for. Now that would be a great rifle for our BIRT/SAS scene in the category of bolt actions. The ideal rifle for our application is definitley a centerfire semi-auto though. However, you can make anything work and if all you have is a basic hunting rifle then finding out how to make it work for you in a tactical situation should be a priority because that is what you will have when TSHTF.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast