Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical

IMO, there's nothing wrong with the SPS Tactical. It's a great, reportedly very accurate, 20" heavy barrel Remington rifle. The comments regarding the tiny extractor, bolt handle breaking off and scope taps being drilled screw are not specific to this model, but has been reported across Remington's line. As with everything, the volumes that the model 700 is manufacturered in will definitely throw up a few bad apples, and no doubt these will get loads of attention.

My understanding is that all 700's use the same actions and these barrels are the same ones that were used on the 700P's of a couple years ago, so they can't be that bad. Remington saves money on the stock and finish, these can both be either replaced or redone, if you wish. The stock is not free floated, but they are reported to still shoot sub-moa like this, not bad for entry level. As for the extractor, fit a Sako one and it's sorted.

As with any of the most popular models, the accessories are endless. Fit an Accuracy International stock and you have a free floated barrel, plus magazine sustem. Or, fit a Mcmillian stock and Badger Ordnance magazine conversion.

Not sure if either of these options are available for the other makes, although I doubt it.

Buy the Remington and build on and upgrade as and when you can.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

The Tactical has the Hogue stock, the Varmint doesn't.

Im not really a bolt action guy but for my money I'd probably buy a Howa. They can be had for under R5k new with the hogue stock. Spend the change on glass, bipod and ammo.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Im not really a bolt action guy but for my money I'd probably buy a Howa. They can be had for under R5k new with the hogue stock. Spend the change on glass, bipod and ammo.
    I kinda agree. I'd also look at a proper reach out and touch them calibre and not .308

Should you want to have a rifle like this built by a gunsmith, within the guidelines of robustness, reliability, spare part availability, at least MOA accuracy etc., what parts (barrel, action, stock, etc.) and calibre would you choose?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    yep Soccie sported a woodie after fondling this as well!
    + 1

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I kinda agree. I'd also look at a proper reach out and touch them calibre and not .308
    Howa is also available in 300 and 338 Win Mag, yes? Someday when I grow up... For now 308 is still my first choice, for several reasons:
    1) I'm a cheapskate
    2) Cheaper ammo = more trigger time and that is what I need right now
    3) I'll actually use the .308 for hunting and I can shoot everything I can afford with it (see 1)
    4) It's not as loud It doesn't shout sniper

User

Also, if you want a rifle for the BIRT environment then bear in mind that for level one you must have 150 rounds of ammo on your person and for level two you add another 50 to be carried in your pack. Most of us carrying 308's and 303's wish we had 223's when it comes to the walking and water crossings. In a real world situation you have to decide if you want to run around with that much 338 ammo. That is not even looking at the cost of buying that ammo.

Sean.
    Last edited by Sean Murphy; 19-04-2011 at 18:32. Reason: spelling.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Also consider the barrel life of the "reach out and touch them" calibers, .300WM and .338L will last for about a quarter of the .308's life.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hund View Post
    Also consider the barrel life of the "reach out and touch them" calibers, .300WM and .338L will last for about a quarter of the .308's life.
    That's why I went w/.308 on my 700PSS. I've only zero'd it and took it out once, but I was banging gongs at 700-1000yds all day long(26" barrel, though).

I'm not sure if 700's are offered in .338L from the factory, but I've seen some pretty sick custom jobs rechambered for it.

Here's a couple reviews on the Remington SPS's:

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

http://www.snipercentral.com/remspsv.htm

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...-tactical-223/

And, here are some Remington 700 SPS Tactical's in AICS and McMillan stocks, plus the second one has the Badger conversion.

There's a SPS Tactical in the family, but then again I am a brand name person, so I'm biased.

The justification was that the 20" barrel made it convenient and more than accurate enough out to 300 - 500 meters in a decent stock with decent glass, I'm thinking the folding AICS stock to compliment the 20" barrel. If I were going for a 1000m rifle I'd be after a custom or Accuracy Int, SAKO TRG, or something along those lines, with an appropriate barrel length. I wasn't going to get that now, so the 20" Tactical ticked all the boxes for an intermediate.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast