Thread: storage

User

Default storage

If you store your rifle in a safe is it better to have it in the rifle bag or not?

Default Re: storage

some may say no. due to the fact that any moisture on the rifle at the time of bagging it will not be able to dry up resulting in the perfect breading ground for rust. Just make sure the rifle is properly cleaned and oiled before storing it and you shouldnt need to leave it in the bag. obviously things like location play a big part here - if i was near the coast i would probably be temted to keep it in the bag due to salt content in the air?

User

Well, i stay about 500m from the sea, also thought it better to leave the rifle in the bag because of that, just read another thread where they talked on putting a red light in the safe, might do that. Before i store my rifle i give it a coating of oil in and on the outer parts of the rifle and then store it in the rifle bag.

I have noticed my rifles pickup some rust in the bags ,I live no where near the sea.

I am going to get some of those moisture removing bags to put insite my safe and remove all my F.A's from the bags , will see how that works

User

ZK I would suggest storing the weapons without a bag in the safe. Make sure you wipe it down with an oily rag before you put it away especially where you have touched any of the metal. A good moisture absorbing product will also help. You get silica gel envelopes that are especially designed for gunsafes. Just remember that they need replacement from time to time. A light that is always on in the safe will also help because it basically generate heat which should stop moisture from condensing on the metal when it gets colder.

Who knows, I'm nowhere near the sea either, rifle was cleaned and oiled and still got rust in the barrel (first time thought, I blame the moist weather we've had this year). Either way, I put in sachets of silica and a lamp now so will see how that turns out.