Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default shotgun as night weapon

I have my G19 as my all day carry and at night have a spot where it is concealed from initial inspection but is right under my hand. I have collected my win 1300 and the intention is to use that as my primary night defence weapon. I dread waking up to the racking of the slide and finding the shotgun in the hands of an intruder. Never say never, I have secure house but I do admit to worying about this. Any sugestions?

User

Default Re: shotgun as night weapon

Not to sound funny, but I'm missing your question in there?

User

Ryan install a type of maxi-door to all possible access points into your sleeping area.It might look ugly but since I did it I sleep alot better.Then you can keep
    The shotgun next to you without your current concerns.

@ Cerop I am worried about bieng fast asleep and an intruder getting his hands on my unsecured shotgun without me reacting, there are many such instances where people thought they were secure to find someone had been through their rooms without them waking up.

G force valid point, my familys sleeping section is secured from the rest of the house, all acess points are burgular guarded but I like your thinking of upgrading the window protection from the run of the mill burgular guards.

Thanks for that
    Ryan

User

Ryan with the maxi doors being inside the glass they have to break glass first.Then they have to cut the maxi and they are not so easy to cut.Couple this with some outside beams and if u can a few IR cameras.A dog inside or maybe even outside will round it off nicely.This will give you a slight edge so that you will be the one supplying hot lead in adequate doses.

Outside beams I have, dogs I have IR cameras I need to research that, thanks again G.

User

Quote Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
    @ Cerop I am worried about bieng fast asleep and an intruder getting his hands on my unsecured shotgun without me reacting, there are many such instances where people thought they were secure to find someone had been through their rooms without them waking up.
    Ah OK! Yip, I agree then, have at least a barrier between your sleeping and living areas, but you seem pretty sorted with that. Don't fix the squeaky front gate. When your wife tells you to fix it, tell her "Dammit woman! Let it squeak!". If you have an alarm system installed, which seems you do, set it to chime when you go to bed.

Cameras is an excellent investment, but as far as getting you to wake up, they're not going to be much good. Excellent for surveying your property from inside though, so yes, get some of them.

User

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    Ryan install a type of maxi-door to all possible access points
    ...alternatively, you can ensure that the bedroom doors are locked when you guys go to sleep. My bedroom door as well those of my kids are locked each night when we retire. My home layout is such that it is impractical to install a gate to seperate the bedrooms from the rest of the house.

All of the above. Need windows secured with decent buglar bars not P&Pay special that can be cut with bolt cutter without waking sleeping residents -lots of holiday homes have these flimsy bars screwed into the wooden window frames! Want noise if they cut through the bars. Try and sleep with windows closed. Living area seperated by solid security gate (all the way to the ceiling). Dog in the bedroom taught to bark if hears strange noises (yes this can be lernt by the dog)! Hard to beat, will wake you + add to intruders problem has to deal with the dog as well. Inside dog less likely to be poisoned. Small yappers work well for this especially "wors honds".

Fit torch to gun for positive target ID before squeezing the trigger!

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Outdoor beams - mostly been replaced with outdoor PUR's (motion detectors) are essential to cover venerable areas/ weak security areas. Allows you to get the drop before they are inside. Keep security gates leading outside locked when at home. All windows barred, especially windows far away from living areas. This forces the crims to force entry -if the alarm is set on at home (outside areas and unopened doors armed). Alarm should detect them, plus forcing entry should make noise - the short version is it is almost too late in they have managed to gain entry undetected!

Be especially careful when first arriving home - in addition to hi jacking risk, you can be forced at gun point to open the house for them, or be attacked from crims hiding on the property, or already in the house (in areas not protected by the alarm system. Domestics can have been overpowered in the day, or in on the "plan".

Will post a separate threat on house robbery - what in the USA would be termed a home invasion.

The difference is this happens when you are at home, and is one of the most frightening things to experience! All your loved ones are at risk during this!!

User

Imagine that you are trying to get into your own bedroom (role play the BG) and what way of entry would you choose to get in. If it is possible (even theoretically) you have to reinforce the protection there. Also ask your brother/ trusted friend to try it. You may be in for a surprise!
    Mj

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast