Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P15-22

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: S&W M&P15-22

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    Just to confirm Paul, you have the 15-22 pistol? i.e. the 15-22 under handgun section of the Smith website?
    Which Smith has just informed us is now 'obsolete'...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Madder Bietsis!!!

User

i was one of the lucky 10 that managed to grab one of MRST's shipment of 15-22's, thank you Paul for acquiring it for me!
    handing it all my licensing crap later this week, but honestly..... I CANNOT WAIT to play with this rifle :)

there is a LOAD of info @ http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

User

My 15/22 has done about 600 rounds with one FTF - strike mark on the rim but no ignition - tried again and it worked - Imo strictly ammo related.

My bud's 15/22 has done 800 rounds with one FTF for the same reason.

We have used Remington Thunderbolt, Remington Target, Remington Subsonic, CCI, Winchester Super X Hi Vel, Swartklip Std Vel Blue box circa 1970, Swartlip brown box, Swartklip White box subsonic and Blaser 22. All work without problems.

It is cheap to shoot at around 8-10 rounds you could shoot for the price of one 5,56.

In SA, due to finding ammo and the price of ammo and difficulty and cost in re-barreling a rifle, shooters think or convince themselves that they learn to shoot a carbine when they do 50 rounds once or twice a month - Imo that is not enough to learn how to shoot and run the rifle really well. The 15/22 really gives a shooter the opportunity to do a lot of good rifle drills frequently. Just remember to end off a good training session with some 5,56 to combat complacency in good basic carbine controll that may creep in because of the ease of shooting the 15/22.

There were no less than 3 articles in the past year in the SWAT magazine about the 15/22 and .22 carbine training as a viable and serious training rifle and option.
    Last edited by DS; 10-05-2011 at 09:15.

I'm going to ban myself from reading these posts!!!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    After shooting Pauls Carbine at the Nationals I was hooked.
    I'd been pondering on one for a while since I have a CAR15 SP1 and it would make a good addition to training on the cheap.
    Recently I popped into a store that had one on the shelf, didn't take long to put money down on it ;)

All be it I have not found issues with ejections, I have had a couple times that the trigger does not reset to firing position.
    I think in my haste to get some shooting in I didn't realise how dry it was, I have since used a good lubricant and not an issue again.
    I will however say this, it's not cheap to shoot, on it's first outing to the indoor range, 200 rounds, in under an hour!
    But boy, what fun!

I would seriously recommend it!
    That's another point that has come up in my looking into the FTE issue. Apparently running "wet" or at least very well lubed seems to be of benefit in terms of reducing these stoppages.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

They are discontinuing the pistol? If so, that would be ironic for those of us in Canada with the rifle: the reason we cannot have the standard 25 round mags is because they were also made for the pistol. Wendy's influence saw to it that any magazine made for a pistol could only hold 10 rounds maximum.

User

There is no reason to run the 15/22 "wet" like a AR15.

I am a big advocate of running the AR15 wet especially with Slip2000 EWL.

On the 15/22 though I used Slip2000 Gun Oil on the rails of the bolt carrier and on the recoil spring guide and the little dome that slides in the charging lever. I oiled sparingly not wet and my 15/22 ran through 500 rounds without a hitch.

They are discontinuing the pistol? If so, that would be ironic for those of us in Canada with the rifle: the reason we cannot have the standard 25 round mags is because they were also made for the pistol. Wendy's influence saw to it that any magazine made for a pistol could only hold 10 rounds maximum.

Nice to know we aren't the only ones with crap!

S&W say:

The M&P15-22 pistol has not been very successfully in the US, as well as in most of the other markets. It has therefore been decided to discontinue this model.

I think it is because it is too easy to convert it to a carbine!

There are still some backorders and we are hoping we can jump onto these and get more stock - they are great fun, and so are the rifles!
    If all else fails, use a bigger mousetrap

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Bullet View Post
    I think it is because it is too easy to convert it to a carbine!
    Shock, horror! Don't say...

An intensive half an hour of labour is NOT "too easy"...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Shock, horror! Don't say...

An intensive half an hour of labour is NOT "too easy"...
    It's all your fault Paul :p
    *run*

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast