Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P15-22

User

Default Re: S&W M&P15-22

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    My 15/22 has done about 600 rounds with one FTF - strike mark on the rim but no ignition - tried again and it worked - Imo strictly ammo related.

My bud's 15/22 has done 800 rounds with one FTF for the same reason.

We have used Remington Thunderbolt, Remington Target, Remington Subsonic, CCI, Winchester Super X Hi Vel, Swartklip Std Vel Blue box circa 1970, Swartlip brown box, Swartklip White box subsonic and Blaser 22. All work without problems.

It is cheap to shoot at around 8-10 rounds you could shoot for the price of one 5,56.

In SA, due to finding ammo and the price of ammo and difficulty and cost in re-barreling a rifle, shooters think or convince themselves that they learn to shoot a carbine when they do 50 rounds once or twice a month - Imo that is not enough to learn how to shoot and run the rifle really well. The 15/22 really gives a shooter the opportunity to do a lot of good rifle drills frequently. Just remember to end off a good training session with some 5,56 to combat complacency in good basic carbine control that may creep in because of the ease of shooting the 15/22.

There were no less than 3 articles in the past year in the SWAT magazine about the 15/22 and .22 carbine training as a viable and serious training rifle and option.
    Update:

I fired 400 rounds of S&B Standard Vel with no problems.

Since the first 500 round reported above I only wiped down the bolt and carrier before I proceeded to shoot the 400 rounds of S&B. I did not clean the chamber or barrel at all - not even a Boresnake through it.

I installed a Bushnell TRS-25 RDS (the poor man's Miro) and it performed very well - imo this is a very viable and realistic RDS for the 15/22. Local price is around R1950 but you will also need 2 picatinny risers at around R175 each to get the sight to the correct height on the flat top receiver of the 15/22. I like the idea of the "local" Bushnell TRS-25 compared to other chinese made RDS sights and/or importing one directly because one will have the back up and service of Bushnell SA included in the price.

A review of the TRS-25 can be seen here:

and another here

User

Hi Khumba

I have tried CCI Standard Velocity, Old Winchester, SwartKilp and even sub sonic Remington hollow points, all with great success.
    I'm definitely loving the rifle!
    Have you by any chance tried the Remington Yellow Jackets?

Another quick question, do you know, or have you tried putting the Wilson TTU into the M&P15-22?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    Hi Khumba

I have tried CCI Standard Velocity, Old Winchester, SwartKilp and even sub sonic Remington hollow points, all with great success.
    I'm definitely loving the rifle!
    Have you by any chance tried the Remington Yellow Jackets?

Another quick question, do you know, or have you tried putting the Wilson TTU into the M&P15-22?
    Nope , have not tried Rem Yellow Jackets.

BTW i also tried CCI Stingers (1640ft/sec 32gr bullet) and it works no problem.

Iro the Wilson TTU - I will definitely install a TTU or maybe the TTU 3 Gun version in the 15/22. The reason being that the Wilson TTU is an encapsulated unit with the trigger pins retained by bushes in the unit and not relying on placement by the receiver holes, thus the receiver will imo last much longer than it would with the standard trigger installed. According to all reports the 15/22 receiver will accept any standard AR trigger modules like the Wilson TTU.

User

has anyone tried subsonic rounds?
    apparently you need the JP yellow springs-set for it to cycle properly.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    has anyone tried subsonic rounds?
    apparently you need the JP yellow springs-set for it to cycle properly.
    Read above - tried Rem Subsonic and old Swartlip Subsonics no problem.

Imo no change in the trigger setup is needed on the current production run of the 15/22 rifles.
    Last edited by DS; 23-05-2011 at 11:03.

User

All be it the trigger in the M&P is far from terrible, I'm interested in cleaning the trigger up a bit to bring it in line with the great Wilson TTU I have in my AR, that way making the training and shooting cross pollinate all the better :)

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

There is, or WAS, a period during the first 1000 rounds through my 15/22 pistol where the odd failure was caused by the HV rounds not having enough gas pressure in the 6" barrel to cycle the blowback bolt completely (hammer was pushed back to before the sear caught it and followed - with interesting and pleasing little bursts of full auto once or twice but more regularly a 'trigger freeze'). This has not happened in the last several hundred rounds at all. I guess the parts are now mated and the springs are not new anymore.

The latest little addition to the gun renders this all moot... and mute! It now cycles with anything at all ;-{>}
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Freak View Post
    All be it the trigger in the M&P is far from terrible, I'm interested in cleaning the trigger up a bit to bring it in line with the great Wilson TTU I have in my AR, that way making the training and shooting cross pollinate all the better :)
    have a look @ http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

there's a guide or two to polish the trigger/sear, to make it much much smoother. people swear by it.

The joys of having a shooting wife! I bought The Boss a 15-22 pistol for her birthday last week! We are definitely going to do a dual license on this one... if she allows me! Can already ordered and can't wait for the shipment to come in!!!!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Hey guys

what is the cost of this?

W
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast