Default What do we think of defensive tools like these?

I've seen some interesting defensive tools around, what are your thoughts on them?

The idea is that you could probably carry them more places that other defensive weapons.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

User

Default Re: What do we think of defensive tools like these?

There is definatley a place for them, Like you said they could possibly be carried more place than the more tradional knives etc.
    Here's a pen from S&W.

User

the thing is they are still designed primarily as a weapon. I am no legal eagle, but my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) that if its primary function is as a weapon, or if an object is modified to make it into a weapon, it could count against you if you were claiming using an improvised weapon in self defense.

a flashlight, pen, keys, or sharpie style marker will do the job just as well. (though I dunno about some flashlights with bevels or crennelations- that seems like modification to make it a weapon to me) screwdrivers are tools that are universally recognised and often not even given a second glance. well, its a long thick metal bar thats kinda pointy with a nice handle... hmmm

also in my experience, most "knuckle" type devices hurt my hand badly when I have realistically tested them against a heavy bag or something similar.

I think these types of tools have their use as backup defensive tools. I personally use a 'tactical pen' and a 'tactical light' as my backup defensive tools. I prefer theses multi-use tools to the kobutan / knuckle duster type of defensive-only tools. The multi-use tools have a primary use, be it writing or lighting, and their secondary defensive use is much less obvious to the average man in the street. (well in my experience in any case)

I always carry my pen and tac-light and have never had a problem taking them with me onto aircraft (domestic flights in SA), into weapons free buildings, etc. I just place them into the scanner tray with my cellphone, keys, etc. and have never had anyone giving them a second glance.

User

Anyone have any experience with the Uzi tac pen? It's quite a bit cheaper than the CRKT, and a lot cheaper that the Benchmade offerings? Not sure if the lower price speaks to the quality of the pen/tool.

User

I think there is a place for them as back up tools and restricted areas. I think the neck and key chain ones have a good chance of passing a "lazy eye" inspection. I saw the site once (can't remember the name now though) and if memory serves, they are made out of titanium. Regardless of their use I think they look really cool and appeal to all gearjunkies...

I don't have any experience with the Uzi but am very happy with my CRKT pen. The Benchmades were a bit small for my liking and way too expensive at around R1500 when I looked last year.

I bought the last 2 CRKTs that Sharp Edge had last year for not much more than what the Uzi costs now!

Where can I get one of those scull things.
    I could find a purpose for it I'm sure!

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

I also carry the CRKT pen, bit annoying to unscrew it all the time!
    MOLON LABE