User

Default Article 7 - Why a custom knife?

Why buy a custom knife?

Many times I have been manning my table at a hunting exhibition or knife show and someone has approached me with this question. Thus ensues a barrage of information in an attempt to educate the potential customer on the benefits of a custom made knife. So I take this opportunity to try and do the same for you.

Firstly let me address the factory manufactured knife. A great deal of research and development goes into each blade before a company even begins to mass produce them. All this is for good reason. If you are going to make one hundred thousand knives exactly the same you want to be sure that it will sell. These designs are often the result of consultation with custom knife makers. Also effort is made to make the steel in these knives a good all round performer. In this many new steels have been invented for the specific purpose of knives. The result of which can readily be seen in any number of factory made knives each professing their superior qualities. Stringent quality assessment is employed to make sure that each knife is assembled correctly and can endure great hardships. There is however the matter of profit. It is not in the companies best interest to apply a superior finish the each blade when a synthetic coat or powder blast finish will do. Also blades are mass heat treated and as stringent as quality control is not all blades will be of the superior quality advertised. Don’t get me wrong, this is no reason not to buy one. Most companies offer fantastic guarantees and will often replace a faulty blade without question. But that is more about marketing than quality. You can be assured of getting the same knife no matter where in the world you are and therefore a known and tried blade that you trust.

Why then would you buy a custom made knife? In the competitive world of knife sales even high quality factory knives are expensive. Ask any one who has bough and Extreme Ratio or Strider. These prices go into the thousands of Rands. So if you truly want that special blade, price is not what will affect your decision. The doubt in the buyers mind is exactly what the manufactures prey on….. consistency. How can you be sure that one knife will perform like the next, or even like a factory blade? The short answer is that it won’t. There is a bit of a gamble when purchasing a custom made blade. This is where one needs to question the maker as to his methods with regards to materials, heat treating methods, fit and finish etc. If a maker is confident in his work it will come across quite clearly. Of course the proof is in the pudding, where only upon purchasing and using a knife will determine its qualities. But you run the same risk of disappointment upon buying your first factory knife. You rely on the reports of others and it is in this where custom knives will show their worth. You will here of a friend who has purchased a knife from a custom maker and his positive review thereof. This encourages you to contact the maker to acquire your own blade. It is now in the makers best interests to make his blades of equal or superior quality in order to assure his reputation. After all, reputation is what sells knives.

Once you know about materials etc, in your desired knife it all comes down to fit and finish. This is where the visual impact of a custom made knife comes into effect. Satin, etched or mirror finish, exotic woods, horn, bone ivory the list goes on. It is this that now distinguishes a custom knife from any other purchased, its uniqueness in comparison to others of its kind. Most makers are what is referred to as ‘sole author’ makers. This means that the designs and manufacture of the knife are all done by the maker alone. He has complete control over the entire process to ensure superior workmanship making each knife one of a kind. Even those makers who establish a popular design will have many of the same cut out of a large sheet. Though identical in shape each is individually finished to the makers own standards.

The next level involves the maker not duplicating the shape of a knife. This is a by product of forged blades but not exclusive to the method. In making knives in this fashion a maker ensures that his customers are receiving one of a kind knives, that no one else in the world has. And this is why I encourage the buying of custom knives, the total distinctiveness that each knife has in relation to the maker. Many makers develop their own style that instantly making his knives recognisable amongst others. Those of you who own and collect custom knives can attest to this. There is that something special about a maker’s style that draws you back over and over again to purchase his works.

These are my thoughts and opinions and if you feel I have been unfair or inaccurate I urge you to correct me.

Very good article Stu.

I view custom knives as a form of art, rather than function. They are like custom rifles or pistols. They are for the connesieurs rather than utility, great to admire, but hard to justify using it on daily basis, e.g. to open beer bottles :-)

If I had a bespoke knife then the hardest work it would be exposed to would most probably be intense eye-balling.

I have a number of production blades planted all over the house, cars [and even my office]. They are cool utilities and the best part, we can have them without a licence.

Also, with modern manufacturing methods, the quality of my blades is better than my metallurgical knowledge, I.e. materials and process are good enough for me. BUT... it would be nice to find a cool bespoke blade.

User

Default Re: Article 7 - Why a custom knife?

I have a custom knife (hunter) and it works.
    I have to admit , the first time I used it I was a bit hesitant, but what good is a knife if youre not going to use it?

User

Default Re: Article 7 - Why a custom knife?

Always remember that more goes into a custom knife than finish. The most stringent heat treating methods are applied so that it's not just a looker but it will perform on command as well. There is and old knife makers idiom... "How it cuts always comes before how it looks" If you have invested in a custom knife I have confidence that you could use the knife for anything.