Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    User

Default Where to hunt warthog

Hi any body know of or can recommend a place or places in the Northwest Province for hunting warthog. Thanks Rob

User

Default Re: Where to hunt warthog

Come to the Eastern Cape and kick a bush.
    A warthog is sure to run off.
    :-)
    A roaring Lion kills no game

My lani wat is the story with the warthog in the eastern cape can we join for a hunt.

User

There is a spot just above Lephalale (Ellisras) which I can highly recommend. Plenty of exceptional sized warthog walking around the bush. Shot one this past weekend after slaughter weighing 48kg's

User

[QUOTE=Adam;181465]There is a spot just above Lephalale (Ellisras) which I can highly recommend.

Hi Adam, not sure if I missed it... But I'm curious as to the place you mention? How do we find out more?

User

Was charged by a warthog in 2001.

The shot was maybe a bit too far back broadside but still knocked it over at 50meters and it lay dead still until I approached from behind and pulled on the tail, I didnt check to see if it was breathing by the movement of the chest etc I just wasnt 100% sure of the shot so I pulled on his tail just to double check out of habit #gun already unloaded and safe#. Then he got up in lightening speed as I back up and reload my .270Win completely unprepared for this...he ran a few meters away from me then turned around to face me and charged and grunted. I was a bit flustered as I was completely surprised as the 'tail-pulling' to check was just as a matter of course based on habit and the suspicious shot-placement, but I really thought he was down for good. At the charge I took him on the centre of the shoulder/spine on top of the back at about one meter from me at full charge...hehe...the 4x40 Tasco was full of grey warthog and I estimated that I was aiming at the top of shoulder and pulled trigger. He really meant business though...

First shot was a lung shot but just that it was right at the posterior region of the lungs but got both in and out with .270 150gr soft-nose PMP.

.243 is an absolute minimum for warthog in my opinion, I suggest nothing smaller than .270 though and with decent bullets, nothing too classy and expensive though just good bullets will do, the warthog is quite a little tank. Slow-moving soft-nose heavy bullets even better. The .44 rifle will do well in the hands of any hunter who has practiced with it enough.

Are these animals tasty? What does it work out per kilogram?

User

If paying for them when hunting, I paid R450 for a big male a couple of months back, weighed in at 56kg's. Regarding the processing:

Made some biltong of a hindquarter, very nice, just keep the fat off, it tastes crap. Smoked a few fillets - qute nice, also cabanossi, cheesegrillers and salami, but whatever your imagination can dream up

Bilting - R10/kg
    Salami, Cabanossi, Cheesegrillers - R30/kg
    Smoking - R3.60/kg

Thanks for the feedback Adam that looks like good value for money to me!!!

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

gees this makes very keen on a warthog :) big time!!!

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

these ae small animals so i assume even a very accurate .22 shot would suffice?

User

Quote Originally Posted by T Rex View Post
    these ae small animals so i assume even a very accurate .22 shot would suffice?
    Yes, on provision that you're standing right next to it and rest the muzzle just behind the ear, aiming towards the brain.

If you can't get that close, use a proper hunting, center fire caliber. Most will suffice with proper shot placement.

Don't ever underestimate the Warthog. They're as tough as nails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast