Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fatigue and training...

You don't have to be a rocket surgeon to recognize that fatigue can and will effect your training experience. I wrote yesterday about ammunition and training in the ammo forum. I thought this evening I would post a few thoughts here on fatigue and what we see when it sets in...

Today seemed even hotter than yesterday and the humidity was definitely higher. Think Durban in high summer. The kids in this class of 26 shooters run from 18 to 25 years of age...most are on the younger end. Now granted, even for here it was particularly hot today (104F / 40C) but I have certainly seen it much more humid (around 40-45% at 4PM) By lunch, probably 85% of these students were tuckered out. Once back from lunch...where many ate far too much for this weather...they managed one good session...maybe an hour...and went sharply downhill from there until we left the range for the cleaning room at 4PM.

We see this in a great many classes these days. Young students who should be able to take the rigors of extreme climate for at least a reasonable period of time, ( I mean, c'mon...we have AC if they start to feel faint, cool water readily available, heck we even have a Life Flight helo base at our Academy with EMT's on duty 'round the clock) but seemingly can't. This is more pronounced in hot weather but also happens in a different way in the cold too. I could start a rant here like my dad might have...you know the one...'Kids today are worthless...blah, blah' But it would not necessarily be true, nor would it mean much. This is the material we have to try and mould.

While many of us here grew up when mom would shoo us out of the house on Saturday morning and not allow us back ubtil lunch, no AC or central heat, no computers or iPads, bicycles for transportation, cricket (or baseball) 'pick up' games in the park, drinking straight from the hose pipe, etc. todays child is not the same. They stay indoors, 'play' on the computer and seemingly have few friends 'in person' like we did. It shows when they have to go outside in less then perfect weather and perform.

Thos of us who did not grow up in the modern era need not pat ourselves on the back too hard...we are also guilty of the pleasures of AC and the all too human tendency to relax as we get older. I am here to tell you that what you could do 15 or 20 or 30 years ago is not necessarily what you can do today. You don't have to go crazy with it, but do work some to get yourself in some sort of reasonable condition for training...please. Fatigue will ruin your training experience if you let it.

I know it's winter now, but even now, keep yourself hydrated. In summer this is especially important. Do NOT wait until you are thirsty to drink water. Water (especially) cools the body core and keeps temps within ranges where the human brain can function properly (once heat exhaustion sets in, it no longer does) reduces fatigue, and cools the core so you can function physically. At lunch, eat a salad or some fruit, maybe drink something like Gatoraide, etc.

Once fatigue...and likely also some heat exhaustion...sets in, we see 'fuzzy logic' applied by students first. They seem to no longer remember how to manipulate the weapon or use the sights. Next we see reduced levels of strength and focus. Finally we see a 'I couldn't give a shid less' attotude emerge with some otherwise good learners. I realize these are very general descriptions, and we do not necessarily see them with every student, but we most assuredly DO see them.

In many Corrections classes, and all Law Enforcement classes, we have kids who personally pay large amounts of money to attend the training. (most LE Recruits are not state or municipal sponsored these days) The Firearms block alone is very expensive...well over $1000USD per student. Fatigue sets them up for a much more difficult training experience...it will do the same for you as well.

Even at bargain SA prices (and NO ONE in SA charges what top tier training is actually worth!), good training is not cheap...it is priceless. One of the most important things you can do for yourself and that training experience is to be in decent enough condition and looking after your brain and body well enough that fatigue...I don't mean getting 'tired', I mean real fatigue... will not set in for you.

That is all.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Default Re: Fatigue and training...

Great post ikor.
    Personal conditioning is of the utmost importance to be able to stay in the fight.

User

Outstanding post

Excellent post Ikor, thanks for passing some of your experience on....

User

An outstanding post. Man, I'm out of shape... :(

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

i remember what you told me , keep hydration up and the hydration pack on the range looks goofy but makes a difference
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Good post!!! I have to start my new gym/fitness routine next week.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts and insights Ikor - Much appreciated

Kind Regards,
    RobertC
    www.pdssa.webs.com
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

User

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
    An outstanding post. Man, I'm out of shape... :(
    No you're not... ROUND is a shape!!!

Nice one Ikor. We see it in the range too.

User

This post reminded me of the "Making the Cut - Rangers" episode I saw last night. Great show! If you don't know it, look for it on DSTV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast