Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: The 1911 in South Africa

Yes I have one but unfortunately I just do not get around to give her some decent range time!!!!!

User

I would love to own one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spikkel View Post
    How much is the ammo?
    Cheap NGA Ammo was R180/50 = R3.60 per round.

User

i have a Remington 1911 had it now for a year and it is very lekker to shoot, makes a nice change from shooting my G21. ammo cost about R200 for reloads per 50 and new/carry ammo is about R500 to R750 depends what make you want to shoot.

but for range time reloading is best, cost about R2 per round.

Long live the .45acp.

cheers david
    Last edited by King David; 21-06-2011 at 08:33. Reason: added more info

User

Waiting for the card for my Springfield 1911A1. It's gonna be awesome!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by Prodigal View Post
    I would love to own one.
    +1. Every authentic gun-nut should own at least one

in terms of the 1911 I too have 1 a Springfield 1911 a1 (stock) currently boarding with Khumba whilst the CFR does its thing! I will say this with both Khumba and Roger Stockbridge from MRST just around the corner I feel fully supported with the 1911, what Roger (silverbullet on the forum) has forgotten about the 1911 many have yet to learn and his son Guy is not far behind. I would say the following here in South Africa is microcosmic possibly of its following in the US (econmy of scale duly acknowledged) there is indeed a cult niche amongst afficienado's who will have one for its beauty and its history (that would be me, I have a thing for ww2 weapons and their modern variations) there are those who have one or two for its sporting role (I think the IPSC guys are very prone to this) also the IDPA CDP shooters, there are those who have them for their undoubted and proven value as SD EDC platforms (that would be me as well!)

The 1911's practicality transcends borders and as such its following in SA is secure I think.

During my service years when operating with or alongside organizations whose standardization of arms was not as singular as the SAP I saw quite a few privately owned and even state owned 1911 variations performing duty as an issue sidearm.

I also recall that during the Rhodesian and indeed even SWA/ Namibian wars that certain units would have individual soldiers who had 1911's

As in the US doubts about the 1911 sometimes surface when modifications have been badly thought out or implemented and as such weapons are indeed in circulation I would always advise people who own or wish to own a 1911 have it checked by Roger or Khumba first and if one were to embark upon a project of a rebuild or extensive modification to do so hand in glove with Khumba or Roger. Big T one of the trainers on this forum is also a big fan of stock 1911's and knows far more about the platform than I do and is also another great source of advice with regards this.

I for one, not being in the league of any of the above mentioned plan to stick as close to design parameters as possible with mine. It is after all a great platform, a joy to shoot and a design that has proven itself all over the world. Even FrankH has one!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

i still want a colt .45acp gold cup it would look great with my other .45's.

User

Have to make one criticism tho... People should NOT re-colour their 1911's until thinking it thru. Some I've seen look like puke

User

There are many 1911 and clones around. My carry gun is a Colt Combat Commander and IMHO it is easier to carry concealed than any of the Glocks, except for perhaps the G36, which I wouldn't mind owning.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast