Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Default Section 21 Permit

I saw this being mentioned in another thread: anyone care to elaborate what it is, what it's good for & where to get it?

Thanks!
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

Default Re: Section 21 Permit

The forms are available on the SAPS website. Its used where you need a gun urgently and can prove this need (sport or hunting)

You apply for the gun in the ordinary course and apply for the permit at the same time. The licence app goes to PTA the S21 permit app goes to province. The permit application is much quicker, as in a week or two.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Behind you, breaking out the KY... Or JHB

Thanks SSP!

How long is it valid for & would I be able to use it for rifle still on my father's name in ECape?
    Prone to random kindness, lecherous behaviour, imitating D-cups at speed and an outstanding sense of humour. If you don't agree, well fuck you.

They are normally issued for a year. Provided you apply for the licence for the rifle I don't see a problem.
    Havamal

I had a chat with a local DFO this morning and I asked him about the Section 21 permit. He was unsure but made the effort to phone and he phoned me back. According to him, this still goes to National Level and there seems to be no structure on Provincial Level to deal with this (Eastern Cape). Also according to his obtained information this is not an easy route and you will have to have even a better reason for this than for your actual application. CFR (according to him and his obtained information) will assist but not easily and it must almost be a case of utmost urgency and importance. The example he used was say you are a top shooter, you blew your barrel and need to obtain a barrel for a upcoming national competition, they will look and assist but with a big emphases on 'top shooter'.

Secondly (slightly off the topic). The issue regarding a SD licence vs a Dedicated or Occasional Sport/Hunting Licence. If you have a handgun under sport shooting you actually may not carry that around in a SD way. Yes if you need to use it in a SD situation, there is nothing to stop you (NOODWEER) and you are not in the S**T. However theoretical you are not allowed to do this as the license you have does not cover it. So theoretically you may only carry around a SD licensed gun for that purpose. There are loopholes in this as the question is how do you police this situation. You may legally use that firearm for the intended use and in 'NOODWEER', but a clever idiot could drag this out and cause you problems. What I mean by this, is that you have a non SD Licenced Gun and you are on the way to the shooting range. As it is not licensed for SD, can you actually transport it loaded to the range/hunting place? I think the whole issue regarding SD and other classified use can still open a can of worms. You may not be in the S**T for using your non SD gun in a SD situation, but other factors surrounding the presence of the gun in the SD situation may cause you problems. It is a difficult one to manage/police but it is a potential problem (I think). Yes, tonight while at home when there is a problem, and all your sport/hunting guns are in the safe and you need something for SD, you could grab whatever you could lay your hands on (according to this specific DFO) and use it. This ties in with the discussion under scenario 1.

S21's are dealt with by a Snr Supt. at provincial level in Gauteng.

Your licence for sport or SD permits you to use the firearm for any lawful purpose and to be in possession of that arm at all times.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP

Your licence for sport or SD permits you to use the firearm for any lawful purpose and to be in possession of that arm at all times.
    This is also my understanding but it seems that there are other views out there....

That's half the problem with the FCA, seems to be open to interpretation by the DFO's as to how they want to implement it!!

User

During that debate on the proposed new Dangerous Weapons Act, one of the brain surgeons, on the vagueness of the proposed act, said: "It is for the policeman to ahplaai his mind..." Open for interpretation? It's suppose to be an ACT, not a vague guideline that's open for interpretation by any Tom, Dick & Thabo. >:(

Quote Originally Posted by DuToitL
    During that debate on the proposed new Dangerous Weapons Act, one of the brain surgeons, on the vagueness of the proposed act, said: "It is for the policeman to ahplaai his mind..." Open for interpretation? It's suppose to be an ACT, not a vague guideline that's open for interpretation by any Tom, Dick & Thabo. >:(
    +1 ;D

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast