Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Rifle Safe refurbish-cleanup

I grabbed a bargain last night, responding to a classified advert and was the first person to get to the seller.

Got myself a 5 rifle safe (approx 1350x400x420) for R400.00 cash.

It's obviously not brand new but still in fair condition. Surface rust here and there, scratches, chrome handle tarnished etc. Before I install the thing good and proper, I wanted to refurbish/clean it up.

I've done a basic strip down this morning of removable parts (key hole cover, inside door cover, lock mechanism etc). I'm going to get one of my workshop guys to rub it down with some sand paper, smoothing it all out and getting rid of any rust and scratches etc.

What would you guys suggest is the best solution for repainting this thing?

I thought of having it powder coated but it's not going to be practical. I want to keep costs to a minimum as well.

Any advice please?

Default Re: Rifle Safe refurbish-cleanup

Nice one!

I would suggest using a rust converter after the sanding & then applying hammerite.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

I did mine with hammertone /Hammerite and it looks great I want to still install a lifght that works on a switch when you open the door the light comes on

User

Nice!
    Does it meet the SABS spec requirements?

User

Prod if you have access to a compressor and spray gun buy yourself 2K paint from an automotive shop in what ever colour you want.It works great...did mine like that in Berlin Black which is similar to a charcoal colour.Whereabouts are you?

User

Hi Prodigal

I would say powder coat it... it lasts long and is not too expensive. Where are you situated?
    I am not in anyway associated with any powdercoating business but I have had a few things coated.

Cheers
    DylanM

User

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762 View Post
    Nice one!

I would suggest using a rust converter after the sanding & then applying hammerite.
    Thanks, had hammerite in mind

Quote Originally Posted by Glocky View Post
    I did mine with hammertone /Hammerite and it looks great I want to still install a lifght that works on a switch when you open the door the light comes on
    Thanks. That light idea sounds good! Possibly wire it through the rear? I like that idea, might do something like that. I also want to hook up a reverse type panic button onto the safe door. When the door is closed, it's engaging the panic button, keeping the circuit closed. If the door is opened without first manually over riding the panic button circuit, the alarm goes off. The manual over ride is going to be in "plain sight", but no-one would know what its purpose is

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    Nice!
    Does it meet the SABS spec requirements?
    I think so. I've measured the door and it comes in at 6.5mm and the body is 3.5mm. Sounds okay no?
    I've pulled the lock out (it only came with one key) and will buy a new 7 lever lock to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by G-force View Post
    Prod if you have access to a compressor and spray gun buy yourself 2K paint from an automotive shop in what ever colour you want.It works great...did mine like that in Berlin Black which is similar to a charcoal colour.Whereabouts are you?
    Yes, I've got a compressor and spray gun kit in the workshop. Was just chatting to the one chap in the workshop and he suggested air spraying too. He seems to think we've got some dark grey hammerite in the store room, he's going to check and let me know. I'm in Durban.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanm View Post
    Hi Prodigal

I would say powder coat it... it lasts long and is not too expensive. Where are you situated?
    I am not in anyway associated with any powdercoating business but I have had a few things coated.

Cheers
    DylanM
    I'll consider it. I'll call the guy who does our equipment powder coating and see what he'll charge and if it's practical as I can't remove the door from the body without grinding off the hinges

User

Spray Hammerite. Standard Hammerite applied with a spray gun. I've been down this road on things like bullbars etc and if I do it again I'd do the first coat(s) with a small sponge roller and then only do the final coat with a spray gun. It's far easier and quicker to build up thickness by hand rather than spray.

Just remember Hammerite has a 2 week curing period. It will be dry to the touch but can get buggered up if you press anything against it

Spike, your location makes me think your the same Spike from 4x4community :-).

I am very sad I missed that ad for the safe, I've been looking at 2nd hand safes for a while now, and that one is a steal!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Pretorius View Post
    Spray Hammerite. Standard Hammerite applied with a spray gun. I've been down this road on things like bullbars etc and if I do it again I'd do the first coat(s) with a small sponge roller and then only do the final coat with a spray gun. It's far easier and quicker to build up thickness by hand rather than spray.

Just remember Hammerite has a 2 week curing period. It will be dry to the touch but can get buggered up if you press anything against it
    Thanks for the advice Spike. The powder coating isn't going to work so Hammerite will be the way I do this. I like the idea of rolling on coats and final coat spraying. That'll be the way I go I think.
    I didn't know about the 2 week curing, thanks. I'm obviously keen to get it installed but another few weeks isn't going to kill me. I'd rather do it properly, once.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I am very sad I missed that ad for the safe, I've been looking at 2nd hand safes for a while now, and that one is a steal!
    Ja, tell me about it. I've been searching the online classifieds daily for about 6 months. Came close to buying a 3 rifle safe for a grand back in May. So glad I didn't. Was very lucky with this find!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast