Hi Guys

This may save some people some money.

My understanding of the new firearms control act was that if you owned a firearm you need to re-license it. By this you could either do the theory test allowing you to keep that firearm. If you wanted to buy a firearm, you needed to do the theory as well as a practical test for that specific firearm.

So...

I previously re-licensed the firearms which I owned by only doing the written competency, not the RPL practical shoot. I have since done the RPL shoot for my respective categories.

When I went to my local DFO to apply for my 'full competency' now allowing me to purchase firearms, they said that my original competency certificate ( just theory ) was now sufficient and I would have been allowed to purchase further firearms for which I had previously been declared competent without doing a practical shoot.

Needless to say I had completed as much as possible before hearing this, but it may save others so time and money.

BUT, please check with your local DFO in regards to this as I would not want to be responsible for your license being declined.