Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Opinions on Barnes tsx in .375 H&H

Hi there

I need to get some bullets to work up a load for my rifle. It came with ammo reloaded with the 270 gr barnes bullet, the rifle likes it and I am wondering your opinions on continuing with the Barnes or if you have any other options for me. Premium bullets only please.

Thank you
    Ryan

User

Default Re: Opinions on Barnes tsx in .375 H&H

Barnes are very good bullets. You should take into consideration the distances at which most of your hunting will be and what velocity the bullets are fired at. Reliable expansion of a monolithic like Barnes TSX takes place at speeds higher than 1900ft/s. Anytging lower and the mono-metal will act like a solid and not expand (it's happened to me). If the rifle was accurate and sufficient performance was achieved with the previous reloads, try to copy them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it coz they are very good bullets.

Banned

In 375 I have standardised on 235 mono bullets (Goodnel, Barnes, Spartan). I can get them up to 2850 to 2950fps and I am sure they are even good for buff. They shoot very flat and penetrate out of this world. Any of the antelope in Africa can be taken. Recoil is also very acceptable. This will serve for kudu in the East Cape to impala in the bush. The lighter bullets like GSCHV and Impala in 200gr will also do the necessary.

Thanks for the feedback men, I was confident that the rifle was shooting well, but I set up my range yesterday and the grouping was all over the place. I called it a day and went home to get my mind in the right place, I dont know what happened but was distracted. I will shoot the barnes again and see what happens, if I can get it shooting tight groups then I will stick with it.

Thanks again
    Ryan

User

Try the Rhino's
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MyLani View Post
    Try the Rhino's
    Saw on another forum that there were complaints about Rhino's quality control affecting the accuracy of the bullets.

Hornady is another option in 270gr .375, any comments?

User

I am loading 300gr Accubonds in my 375 H&H at about 2450ft/s. I managed Sub MOA groupings on paper at 100yards.

Shot a Blue Wildebees at 338 yards (rangefinder). Shot entered front of chest. Aimed above the horn to compensate for distance. Animal droped after brief trot. Recovered bullet at the back of the stomach after passing through chest bones, vitals and a stomach full of undigested food! Perfect expansion, awesome weight retention and penetration at a long way off. Very happy with it and will stick with it and can recommend it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hickers View Post
    I am loading 300gr Accubonds in my 375 H&H at about 2450ft/s. I managed Sub MOA groupings on paper at 100yards.

Shot a Blue Wildebees at 338 yards (rangefinder). Shot entered front of chest. Aimed above the horn to compensate for distance. Animal droped after brief trot. Recovered bullet at the back of the stomach after passing through chest bones, vitals and a stomach full of undigested food! Perfect expansion, awesome weight retention and penetration at a long way off. Very happy with it and will stick with it and can recommend it.
    Shot an young eland bull at oblique facing angle. Bullet enetered behind shoulder and was found in the groin. Calibre? - 30-06 with 150gr Barnes TSX. Animal moved 20 meters and expired. Lungs and liver badly damaged.

In 375 you dont need to use the heavies for normal plains antelope. With lighter copper bullets you get flat trajectory and with much reduced recoil. More accurate shooting and more than ample killing power.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Shot an young eland bull at oblique facing angle. Bullet enetered behind shoulder and was found in the groin. Calibre? - 30-06 with 150gr Barnes TSX. Animal moved 20 meters and expired. Lungs and liver badly damaged.

In 375 you dont need to use the heavies for normal plains antelope. With lighter copper bullets you get flat trajectory and with much reduced recoil. More accurate shooting and more than ample killing power.
    I hear you dripootx.

However I have recently decided to standardise on a load for my 270, which is 140grain Nosler Accubond @3025 ft/s for the plains, and in my 375 in 300 grains Nosler Accubond at 2450ft/s for the bush.

One can of course develop many differnt loads as per preference but I reckon the combo and the chosen bullets will allow me to handle most conditions I am typically faced with with this rifle and load combo.

As for copper bullets I am still keen to try the 235 grain Barnes TSX in the 375 and see what velocity I get a grouping at. Could be nice for hunting bigger animals (gemsbok, wildebees etc) at longer ranges....things that I would be hesitant to shoot at with the 270 at range (maybe I am over cautious in this regard and I should rather load the 270 with Barnes TSX??)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast