Default Prone Shooting, Tips & Tricks!

So this past weekend we did some prone shooting & after the shoot i found myself not completely sure i use the best way.

Some of the shooters said you should lay with you strong hand straight, basically a superman version of the normal both arms straight shooting stance! Other said no you should support yourself on your elbows, etc, etc.

Looking back on the scores there doesn't seem to be a clear advantage towards one or the other since there where fast & accurate shooters using both methods. Yes i know it all boils down to practice, practice, practice. But it doesn't help you practicing the wrong way.

So how do you shoot prone & what is the advantages & disadvantages of your way of shooting prone?

(i did search for prone shooting & no results came up if i missed the topic sorry)

Default Re: Prone Shooting, Tips & Tricks!

I personally do not do this nearly enought to know what works and what not......

I will leave this one for the competition shooters, but for SD purposes seriously give rol over prone some though, especially when you think about cover like a curb, vehicle etc. very easy to shoot and very accurate, but remember when going to ground you lose mobility, but sometimes you have no other option.

User

In my opinion the great thing about the 'roll over prone' position is that it still allows you to breathe properly, feels very comfortable and allows for consistent sight picture (should you have the time to actually use the sights!)

Hope you all have a great day!

Kind regards,
    Robert
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Terminology.....just explain 'roll over prone' position...... confused0083

Maybe we are on the same page but I am just not sure.....

Like this. You can vary the position of the body to take full advantage of cover. Almost straight as seen here if, say, using a car wheel / tyre or up to 90 degrees if firing from behind a wall, etc. It also works better if winded and with, err. 'larger' guys who may have a bit of a stomach (I did NOT say 'boep'!) No rocking forward and back, etc. and it is comfortable enough to stay in if you have to. Of course, as noted by Swattie, the lower you go, the slower it is to get mobile again...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

ikor that is the one position that was used by some people but we where shooting in "Low" light so these guy had the disadvantage of not seeing there sights very clearly! (You guy's should really try a night shoot) but i suppose if you practice it enough your will become confident enough to just point as most guy's did standing at the night shoot!

The guys that supported them self on there elbows had the advantage of more visible sites but it's not very comfortable & your gun is not that stable, since most of us is not use to holding a pistol with bent arms when we shoot!

Thanx for the reply's so far, interisting to see peoples views on this!

I prefer the roll over prone as illustrated in the Magpul Dynamics DVD, just with a pistol.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Thanks for the picture Ikor, I was trying to explain it, but it would have made no sense, and for brining up the "boep" then Corne this one was made for you hpy71. Just one quick note, if you look at this position carefully, you will notice that your arms, pistol and head against your shoulder position actually creates a rifle "stock" and provides for a very stable shooting platform.

And as I am one of the 'BOEP' owners....I will take that one as aimed at me... hpy194

Thanks to all for the clarification on the terminology..... hpy180