User

Default Slide lightening smallprint?

I'm considering getting back into competitive shooting and have my eye on IDPA which didn't exist when I last competed. My weapon of choice will be a Browning HP 9mm.
    Now I've been reading the rules and did a search for further info to see if my gun qualifies due to minor mods and the subject of slide lightening reared it's head.
    So to my question.
    How pedantic are the rules police about slide lightening?
    Many years ago when fitting new sights I had the top of the slide machined to make a flat surface between the front and rear sights. So although it was done to help the fitting of the sights, technically my slide might be viewed as being made a ball hair lighter I imagine, not taking into account that the bigger after-market sights prolly make up for the material that was removed.
    Would that machining be considered slide lightening and preclude me from competing?

Default Re: Slide lightening smallprint?

Spike I believe that the slide lightening that is being talked about here is in the realm of "Beretta cut outs" and drilling your slide full of holes, so that it more closely resembles a sieve ;)

User

Ja but sometimes a guy with a rule book in his hand can get finicky. I discovered that in other sports such as motor racing and other. I thought I better check in advance so I don't rock up on the day and they tell me to take a hike

User

i personally would assume "slide lightening" to the point where the gun becomes unsafe. drilling holes and such, causes stress in unnatural directions/places on the slide. imagine a slide snapping/cracking because the stress in the specific point converged and snapped.

well, unless the person has a physics PhD and multi-million rand testing equipment and able to provide detailed testing results :)
    then he could always appeal to the IDPA board over like 3years, haha.

Spike, flat topping a slide doesn't substantially lighten the slide. Lightening the slide refers to gamers that machine huge orifices into the slide in order to increase slide speed. You're safe with flat topping a slide.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

plus if you are just going to be doing club shoots i dont think anyone will mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    Spike, flat topping a slide doesn't substantially lighten the slide. Lightening the slide refers to gamers that machine huge orifices into the slide in order to increase slide speed. You're safe with flat topping a slide.
    If he says so, it is so :D