User

Default Conetrol Scope Mounts & Bases

Read reviews and checked out the items and I like. I am looking to use these on my new rifle and scope (License approved 20 June 2011. Happy Happy)

The license has been approved for a Voere LBW 2003 375H&H, and I got myself a S&B Zenith 1.5-6x42 with Flash Dot #9 reticle. Now I am looking to pair these two (or rather marry the two) with good quality rings and bases.

So anyone in SA using them? Your input will be appreciated.

Who stocks these in SA, if they are available in SA?

While I like the Conetrol mounts and bases any suggestions of any good quality mounts and bases would be a plus+++++

Thanks.

User

Default Re: Cionetrol Scope Mounts & Bases

Attachment 4996

Here is a pic of the mounts and bases by Conetrol, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

User

Bump, no suggestions for good quality mounts and rings.

Anybody?

I've fitted a lot of scopes, but its a while ago and I'm a bit out of touch. I'm not familiar with that model of Voere. But whatever it is, make sure you get the right bases, not all base makers supply for all rifles. If it is a 98 copy, or sporterised military 98 action as many Voere were, you have the widest choice. Leupold, Burris and Redfield have the identical rotary locking system. For heavy recoiling rifles, they all offer a double rotary lock, ie front and back rings. The Tasco/Lynx system works quite differently and is popular in SA. An exact copy is made by Thor Engineering in SA.

Why do you want Conetrol especially ? As far as I know there is no stockist in SA, so you will probably have to get direct from US. I have never seen any, so all I know about them is that the rings are self locking, no "ears", no screws. The idea might be OK, but my concern is how do you lap them ? It is important to lap all rings in place on the rifle, especially heavy recoiling calibres.

Make sure the rings are high enough that the scope clears the barrel and the rear sight, and allows the lens cap to fit. I've seen enough that didn't. Make sure the tube is long enough to allow some fore and aft movement to adjust eye relief. I've seen plenty that didn't satisfy that, too.

It is not just a matter of buying a scope because you like it, you have to be sure it will fit the rifle. Then you have to make sure the bases and rings are right for both rifle and scope.

User

The Conetroll rings look very nice and seamless. I had a set on my Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag, holding a Tasco ProShop 2-8 handgun scope. I eventually removed scope and opted for express sights. Leupold have a similar rotary system - I had a one piece base with the front ring rotating though 90º and the rear ring being held in place with 2 largish screws, allowing you to do rough windage adjustments too. The scope (Zeiss) wouldn't hold zero, some lateral shifting (those 2 rear screws couldn't take the punch), which disappeared one I replaced base with picatinny type rail and put some Leupold Tactical rings on it.
    I think you might be better off with Warne rings, especially with a lightweight 375 rifle.

User

Default Re: Conetrol Scope Mounts & Bases

Thanks guys, had a chat with my gunsmith who will help mount the scope, and he recommends Thor mounts and rings.

Only heard good about them and plus they are locally manufactured, so I will be using the Thor's.

@THOMAST : the Conetrols do look very nice, but how did they perform or hold up on the 44 mag?

User

Let me put it this way. There are sturdier systems on the market..
    They worked ok with 240gr bullets, but I was hesitant to use them with heavier hunting loads.

This has been interesting ! Now I know that Conetrol mounts are not too sturdy. Leupold rotary locking too ( same as Redfield and Burris ). Can't say I'm surprised about the latter, seen lots of 'em and they struck me as a bit flimsy. No surprise that Leupold/Redfield/Burris have come up with a dual rotary system (same lug front and back). Surprising thing is that the single rotary lug has been the most popular in the US for decades.

Thor bases and rings are a direct copy of Lynx/Tasco. I never liked them either. A pair of opposing tiny 6x48 grub screws locking the ring to a stud poking up from the base doesn't strike me as very secure. That said, I never heard of any failures, and they are a lot easier for lining up the scope. But they should at least have four screws in my humble opinion.

I reckon the dovetail type like Weaver, and the machined rails eg CZ, Sako, Tikka, Ruger are better. But still better in my opinion, would be a ring with a spigot engaging a recess in the top of the base, secured with a big (5mm) vertical screw. But no-one makes anything like that. Too simple and too strong ? I once modified a pair of CZ rings to work like that. Nice and neat. And strong.