Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Your CCW

User

Default Re: Your CCW

Quote Originally Posted by M43 View Post
    Not for me. The grip is too long and protrudes too much. If I was wide / fat enough it probably wouldn't. So for me the solution is to make the grip shorter. Luckily Glocks can be chopped.
    Are you calling me fat??

You wouldn’t be too far off!!
    The extra KGs does wonders for concealment in AIWB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Steven001 View Post
    Are you calling me fat??

You wouldn’t be too far off!!
    The extra KGs does wonders for concealment in AIWB
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You just have to always carry an IDPA membership card with you. In IDPA there are no "fat" people; only "certain body types"... Its in the rules. :)

User

Interesting read. I personally wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any lead projectile, even the paltry .22 or .380. having said that I don't understand the use case for .380.

Living in SA, 9mm makes sense from a number of perspectives but the one bit of advice I got once that has always stuck with me was; have a look at what the army and the police use in their service pistols. that will be ammo that will most probably be the easiest to get if the SHTF.

On the question of what gun to carry, I am a firm believer in letting the gun choose you. Go to the range and test a bunch of different sized firearms, from sub compact to full-size and pick the one you feel most comfortable with and will fit your lifestyle best.

On the question of how much ammo to carry, again this is completely subjective depending on who you talk to... but... Clint Smith does say: How much ammo should you carry? That depends, how long do you wanna be in the fight for?

User

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    Interesting read. I personally wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of any lead projectile, even the paltry .22 or .380. having said that I don't understand the use case for .380.

Living in SA, 9mm makes sense from a number of perspectives but the one bit of advice I got once that has always stuck with me was; have a look at what the army and the police use in their service pistols. that will be ammo that will most probably be the easiest to get if the SHTF.

On the question of what gun to carry, I am a firm believer in letting the gun choose you. Go to the range and test a bunch of different sized firearms, from sub compact to full-size and pick the one you feel most comfortable with and will fit your lifestyle best.

On the question of how much ammo to carry, again this is completely subjective depending on who you talk to... but... Clint Smith does say: How much ammo should you carry? That depends, how long do you wanna be in the fight for?
    I've been shooting IPSC for the last 2 years. That obviously means I have a few magazines per gun. To me, the fact that I have them, means I might as well carry them. As I'm typing this, I have a Glock 17 MOS at AIWB with a spare mag in a "side car" type holster, and another 3 spare mags on my belt. That's potentially 86 opportunities to stop a threat. With my P320 I only have 3 spare mags, giving me 61 opportunities. To follow on from that quote, I wanna be in the fight longer than my attacker

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by DMeek View Post
    Haven't heard a Clint Smit quote I didn't like so far. One from an unknown sage goes something along the lines of, "You only have too much ammunition on you when drowning or aflame". I go by that one and carry as much as I can given the circumstances with the weather being the factor that dictates how much I can conceal.

Currently have 17 in my carry pistol and 48 in in three mags in carriers on the belt. In cold weather like we have in JHB now I will put another couple of mags in the breast pockets of my jacket because I can conceal them. With the recent shit that was on the go, there was more in a grab bag.

User

Yip. Have to agree on the ammo. Carry as much as you are comfortable with. On Monday (the day after the shitstorm here in SA) I went to work with three 17 round mags for my P10C as well as 6x 18 round mags for my CZ75. All of it on me in person. It is the exception though. I normally only carry three 18 round mags and my CZ75. Yes, it will always be +1 in the barrel.

Remember carrying a firearm might not always be comfortable, but it will always be comforting.

Just saw this thread now. I'm always amazed how heated arguments can get around caliber for self defence, like earlier in this thread.

Here is a good read on different calibers and their effectiveness based on real world data.

From the article: "Lastly, it’s plainly obvious that any reasonable self defense caliber, between .38 and .45 will suffice. It’s more important to actually train, and shoot your pistol than it is to have a 5% higher chance of achieving a one shot stop. If you are in a position where you can use a shotgun or rifle for home defense then that is always going to be more effective."

https://www.tierthreetactical.com/an...topping-power/

Sent from my Armor_6E using Tapatalk

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13