Hi all!

(Crossposted from the introductions forum because I wasn't getting any useful info there)

So, I've recently moved to South Africa from the US. I'll be in the country for about a year, mostly in the Eastern Cape area and in and around Grahamstown, and have been thinking about how to go about protecting myself during that time. In the US I have a concealed carry license and carry a BHP IWB, but it seems that's not a likely possibility here.

So, from someone with very little knowledge of South African defense and weapons laws, what options do I have?

1. Blackpowder weapons, and can I concealed carry without license? Any gun is better than no gun at all. And, within this category, is there a legal distinction between, say, a Navy Colt or a single shot muzzle loader? I've heard some rumors of a new blackpowder license, but that this is much easier to get?

2. Hard defensive rounds in a small paintball pistol? Not ideal . . . but still gives some range and semiautomatic. Any idea how effective these actually are? And what's their legal status re: concealed carry?

3. Telescoping baton. Legal to carry, I believe? What brands and models are available here, and where should I look for one? I'm well aware of how effective these are, and if close quarters defensive tools are all that I'm able to access, these are quite a nice option. But . . . limited range and despite my SCA training it's still an iffy business against multiple opponents armed with knives.

3a. A fighting stick of some sort or another. Similar in use, but not as effective and not as concealable.

4. Knife. Ugh. Knife fighting is dirty and dangerous. But . . . what's the carry legality? And, are throwing knives legal here?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might have!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

And, where can I get extensible batons in South Africa, either locally or mail order? Or does anyone have a spare one (preferably ASP brand) they'd be willing to sell me?