Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Personal Defense while living in South Africa

Hi all!

(Crossposted from the introductions forum because I wasn't getting any useful info there)

So, I've recently moved to South Africa from the US. I'll be in the country for about a year, mostly in the Eastern Cape area and in and around Grahamstown, and have been thinking about how to go about protecting myself during that time. In the US I have a concealed carry license and carry a BHP IWB, but it seems that's not a likely possibility here.

So, from someone with very little knowledge of South African defense and weapons laws, what options do I have?

1. Blackpowder weapons, and can I concealed carry without license? Any gun is better than no gun at all. And, within this category, is there a legal distinction between, say, a Navy Colt or a single shot muzzle loader? I've heard some rumors of a new blackpowder license, but that this is much easier to get?

2. Hard defensive rounds in a small paintball pistol? Not ideal . . . but still gives some range and semiautomatic. Any idea how effective these actually are? And what's their legal status re: concealed carry?

3. Telescoping baton. Legal to carry, I believe? What brands and models are available here, and where should I look for one? I'm well aware of how effective these are, and if close quarters defensive tools are all that I'm able to access, these are quite a nice option. But . . . limited range and despite my SCA training it's still an iffy business against multiple opponents armed with knives.

3a. A fighting stick of some sort or another. Similar in use, but not as effective and not as concealable.

4. Knife. Ugh. Knife fighting is dirty and dangerous. But . . . what's the carry legality? And, are throwing knives legal here?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might have!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

And, where can I get extensible batons in South Africa, either locally or mail order? Or does anyone have a spare one (preferably ASP brand) they'd be willing to sell me?

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Personal Defense while living in South Africa

Send me a PM and I will hook you up
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Tried to. It says that you've exceeded your personal storage space.

User

Quote Originally Posted by talaananthes View Post
    Hi all!

(Crossposted from the introductions forum because I wasn't getting any useful info there)

So, I've recently moved to South Africa from the US. I'll be in the country for about a year, mostly in the Eastern Cape area and in and around Grahamstown, and have been thinking about how to go about protecting myself during that time. In the US I have a concealed carry license and carry a BHP IWB, but it seems that's not a likely possibility here.

So, from someone with very little knowledge of South African defense and weapons laws, what options do I have?

1. Blackpowder weapons, and can I concealed carry without license? Any gun is better than no gun at all. And, within this category, is there a legal distinction between, say, a Navy Colt or a single shot muzzle loader? I've heard some rumors of a new blackpowder license, but that this is much easier to get?

2. Hard defensive rounds in a small paintball pistol? Not ideal . . . but still gives some range and semiautomatic. Any idea how effective these actually are? And what's their legal status re: concealed carry?

3. Telescoping baton. Legal to carry, I believe? What brands and models are available here, and where should I look for one? I'm well aware of how effective these are, and if close quarters defensive tools are all that I'm able to access, these are quite a nice option. But . . . limited range and despite my SCA training it's still an iffy business against multiple opponents armed with knives.

3a. A fighting stick of some sort or another. Similar in use, but not as effective and not as concealable.

4. Knife. Ugh. Knife fighting is dirty and dangerous. But . . . what's the carry legality? And, are throwing knives legal here?

Thanks for any help or advice anyone might have!

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

And, where can I get extensible batons in South Africa, either locally or mail order? Or does anyone have a spare one (preferably ASP brand) they'd be willing to sell me?
    AFAIK you can apply for a firearm license if you have permanent residence, is that your goal?
    If so the normal process would be followed i.e. do your competency for the said firearm (handgun/shotgun/rifle etc), apply for SAPS competency and license in parallel. Your SAPS competency would need to be approved first, then your license. The process is moving quicker of late, but a wait of 4-6 months is still the norm.

Banned

If you had a fire arm license in the USA I cannot see why one cannot be granted for the period you will be spending in SA - if I remember right there is provision on the application for that. Whether you are going to get it before you return is another matter !

Our rights are slowly but surely being compromised here, it is only a matter of time.
    Good luck with your stay and I have to say I'm ashamed that South Africa has become what it is. One can only hope that in time and with the support of other first world countries like the US we will see a change for the better. Please don't give more funds to the government, they abuse it against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank

AFAIK you can apply for a firearm license if you have permanent residence, is that your goal?
    If so the normal process would be followed i.e. do your competency for the said firearm (handgun/shotgun/rifle etc), apply for SAPS competency and license in parallel. Your SAPS competency would need to be approved first, then your license. The process is moving quicker of late, but a wait of 4-6 months is still the norm.
    I am not a sa citizen. But I do indeed have a license. I have permanent residence.
    I do however have a Id book, so I don't know if its necessary or possible without one.

With RSA ID you can apply

User

Quote Originally Posted by F a n i e View Post
    If you had a fire arm license in the USA I cannot see why one cannot be granted for the period you will be spending in SA - if I remember right there is provision on the application for that. Whether you are going to get it before you return is another matter !

Our rights are slowly but surely being compromised here, it is only a matter of time.
    Good luck with your stay and I have to say I'm ashamed that South Africa has become what it is. One can only hope that in time and with the support of other first world countries like the US we will see a change for the better. Please don't give more funds to the government, they abuse it against us.
    You will cease turning unrelated threads into rants about gun control or the goverment.

I sent pm to OP with points

KK20 will sort you out.
    and Fanie turns this into yet another rant. [sorry mods but it's getting a to be a pita].
    i take knives to a gunfight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast