Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Premium factory ammo for .243

Thanks for the responses guys.

You are hunting springbok in an area where MOST of your shots are going to be at around 150m. As you come around a kopje a ram presents itself at 60m. Is the 100gr PMP bullet still going to perform reliably? Having just got my .243 last week, I'm erring on the side of caution until I get some practical experience with it. It's a whole different ballgame than what I have been used to hunting with my 30-06 for the last 20 years or so.

Premium bullets do offer some level of insurance as well. Shooting in a crosswind you may have your bullet drift across from behind the shoulder where you aimed to hit the shoulder bone. There is no doubt that a premium will break the bone more reliably than a non-premium bullet. Yes, I could always refrain from shooting in the crosswind but it's just an example. Mistakes do happen in hunting and a little insurance never hurt.

Unfortunately, Remington do not sell Swift A-frame factory loaded .243 ammo in SA (if they even make them at all). They are dynamite in my 30-06. They do sell the Swift Scirroco in 90gr which I am eager to try. I'd also like to try something loaded with Barnes bullets. At the moment I'm shooting 100gr ProAmms. I have shot many animals with ProAmms in my 30-06 - they are good bullets. But when after kudu bulls, eland, wildebeest bulls with the 30-06 I switch to the A-Frames. Luckily they shoot to the same point of imapct in my Musgrave.

When the babies are out of nappies and all grown up and out of the house I'll consider reloading. I used to reload for my 12ga but I just don't seem to have the time anymore. I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I was, however, surprised to read that no less a hunter than Peter Flack hunts and practises only with factory ammo.

User

Dimitri - old 3 legs stated it very well indeed. Meat damage! The one and only downfall of the .243 is meat damage. However, when the shots are longer and the bullet loses velocity then meat damage is quite accpetable and in most cases it is just a few ribs that are "moer toe". The .243 100gr PMP bullet will not break up at 60m - at that range shoot in the neck. The .243 is a wonderfully accurate rifle so simply place the cross hairs at the base of the skull and squeeze! Before I started reloading ( about 100yrs ago) I ONLY shot 100gr PMP and took everything up to a Kudu bull (shot in the blad) - I still have the bullet that killed the kudu. I have a friend in the district here who has only 1 rifle - a .270 and he only shoots 130gr ProAmm and has shot up to Eland with that rifle.
    I will say it again - you will not have a problem reaching the vitals with standard factory ammo BUT beware of meat damage. The hydro(something) shock is quite pronounced on these little bullets so shoot behind the shoulder and take out the lungs.
    I will not trade my .243 for anything. In the last 5 days I have shot Kudu, Black Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Mt Reedbuck and Springbuck with my .243 (my son had my .270) and the Sierra 85gr HPBT Gameking. There was no followup on any animals and some were shot within 60m. People are very quick to write of the .243 as a "little Springbuck rifle" but they have no idea of just how hard this caliber punches. Buy your ammo and shoot the gun and you will see. I would buy PMP first and then go from there - you might never move!

User

@ Dimitri - I have just been informed by a VERY reliable source and checked on the website .... Sellier and Bellot are loading the 100gr Nosler Partition into .243 - try Ronden in Cape Town - ask for kevin! 021 7033050

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2