Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Bolt manipulation for left handers

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a muddle that cant be unique to me since I'm not the only left hander that shoots. I've been shooting for years as a lefty and always thought everyone else just has to put up with the inconvenience of chambering a new round quickly in case of a wounded animal. With a view to improve my technique and therefore my shooting, I have started looking for different ways to do things so I can find what works best for me. I recently watched a video demonstrating the proper technique without taking you eye off the scope and keeping the cross hairs on the animal but after much thinking, how should us lefty's do it?

Cheers

Default Re: Bolt manipulation for left handers

Hi Primo, Go to the introductions thread and introduce yourself. Once youve done that Im sure some answers will be forthcoming. Im not a lefty but I do a lot of bolt gun shooting and shoot bi laterally. It is best to reload while still mounted, however as a lefty you are gonna struggle to keep eyes on sights.

User

I forced myself too shoot right handed, these days I can't even shoulder a rifle left handed anymore. I'm a complete lefty, but I shoot right handed.

Its always a good idea to be able to shoot both left and right handed.

User

The real question is, 'Should left handed people be allowed to handle firearms'?

---------- Post added at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

Did you know that Italian for left is "sinistra", from the latin sinistre, the root word of sinister.....

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy View Post

---------- Post added at 08:08 ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 ----------

Did you know that Italian for left is "sinistra", from the latin sinistre, the root word of sinister.....
    Which is the root word for "my braim she no work a proper...so use a my lefta hand".

There was a time when armies fought with bolt rifles, and bolt manipulation was no trivial thing to them. The Brits took rifle practice quite seriously and during WWI were accused by the Germans more than once of having machineguns when the withering...and accurate...fire experienced by their troops actually came from the Tommy's Enfields.

Here are couple of quotes from first, Col. Townsend Whelen in 1940 and then Col. Cooper in the 1970's on left hand manipulation of right-side bolt rifles. Note that much practice...both live and dry fire...will be needed to get it down right, but it CAN be done...

"We must not forget the 'south-paw.' If, because you are left-handed or because of defective vision in the the right eye, you have to shoot left-handed do not think that you will be handicapped badly with a bolt action rifle. It is almost as easy to operate a bolt action rifle left as right-handed if it is done right. As the left hand releases its grip on the pistol grip the right hand should twist the forearm a little to cause the rifle to cant slightly to the left. The left elbow must be raised from the ground or the left knee. Without taking the butt of the rifle from the shoulder, reach over the action with the left hand and grasp the handle with the thumb and forefinger, thumb under the bolt, knob back in the crotch of the thumb and forefinger, last three fingers on top of the receiver. Now by twisting the wrist, assisted by pressure of the little finger on top of the receiver, raise the bolt handle all the way up with a rapid, powerful twisting motion of the wrist. Now pull the bolt all the way to the rear, keeping the hand on the bolt in the same position and with the heel of the hand on top of the bolt-sleeve and rear end of the cocking piece. Be sure you pull the bolt hard all the way to the rear. Keep the knob of the bolt handle deep in the crotch of the thumb and the forefinger, then at once push the bolt forward with the heel of the hand contacting the rear of the bolt. At once push the bolt handle down with the forefinger and a twist of the wrist. The second finger also assists in this pressure. This method, when learned, is very much easier and faster than trying to grasp the bolt handle between the little finger and the palm of the hand as many attempt to do. Left-handed operation is slightly slower than right-handed, not because it is any more difficult when learned, but because it is necessary for the left elbow tobe removed from the ground or knee. Nevertheless it is quite easy and very fast."

Jeff's comments follow. "In scanning the foregoing two extracts we see the Crossman recommends twisting the rifle to the right with left hand in order to minimize the arc of bolt rotation, while Whelen does not. I suggest that the student try both methods and see if he gains anything by twisting the rifle. We note that both masters emphasize and re-emphasize the necessity to get the bolt all the way to the rear before starting it forward again. I witnessed a very dramatic case of this in Africa a couple of years ago when my partner, using my rifle, did not retract that long bolt fully and closed it on an empty chamber, while looking a wounded elephant right in the face at a range of eleven steps. This sort of thing can be very embarrassing.
    "The operation of the bolt is something that can be learned completely before even taking up the matter of shooting and we strongly suggest that anyone who intends to undergo rifle instruction master it prior to attending school."
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

I'm sure with practice this can work, but those where probably done without a scope. A scope will definitely make it more difficult.

Excellent description, Thanks Ikor for an outstanding post.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I have trained left handed with both scoped and unscoped rifles and agree that the scope gets in the way of fast bolt action operation when using lefty.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast