Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Gun safe smallprint

Where will I find the detailed smallprint regarding the legality of gun safe installation?
    All I can find in the regulations is the following
    Storage and transport of firearms and ammunition
    83. Firearms and ammunition must be stored and transported in the prescribed
    manner.
    I'm told all sorts of things about the installation, and I'm pretty sure mine is over spec, but I'd like to read it for myself.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

I'd like to see the actual spec regarding size of rawl bolts, how many surfaces to be attached to, etc. So many people say so many different things. For example for my safe inspection (the one that I showed them) I was told to fit larger rawl bolts. I wonder if that was a valid request

User

Default Re: Gun safe smallprint

User

Ja I saw that thread. The first post shows old and not very detailed specs. It says nothing about rawl bolt size for example.
    The link in the second post is a dud.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Pretorius View Post
    Ja I saw that thread. The first post shows old and not very detailed specs. It says nothing about rawl bolt size for example.
    The link in the second post is a dud.
    i have 12mm raw bolts running through mine and i actually invited the inspector to stand on it.... to which he did and hell the safe never came off the wall....... and he was about over 100kg serious........

but here's the trick..... i removed a maxi block outta the wall.... my father (boiler maker by trade) fitted a stainless steel base plate behind the wall where the safe it situated..... and all i did was insert the raw bolt into the prepared holes in the base plate and into the metal wall lug which had been tack to the base plate.......

i know its over kill but my Father is a perfectionist and believes in doing things correctly or not at all....... his old skool but hey you gotta love them hey

User

I'm quite happy with my installations. I'm interested in the written law concerning the installation of a safe rather than just what is considered ok or what the local cops said.

Must it really be fixed to more than one surface if it's bigger than X size or is that urban legend.
    Is there really a minimum size and quantity of rawlbolt required or that a rule the cops made up.
    Etc etc

I just had another thought. When they inspected after the rawlbolt upgrade they just looked at it, gave it a tug, said it was ok, and left. No certificate. Some people tell me I should have received a certificates (SAP 538).

User

I'm quite happy with my installations. I'm interested in the written law concerning the installation of a safe rather than just what is considered ok or what the local cops said.<br>
    <br>
    Must it really be fixed to more than one surface if it's bigger than X size or is that urban legend.<br>
    Is there really a minimum size and quantity of rawlbolt required or that a rule the cops made up.<br>
    Etc etc<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    I just had another thought. When they inspected after the rawlbolt upgrade they just looked at it, gave it a tug, said it was ok, and left. No certificate. Some people tell me I should have received a certificates (SAP 538).
    hell you got me now on this one........ i know that story of being fixed to more than one surface/wall is bull that i know........ SABS/SANS approved safes i see at shops eg PANDA X safes come with 12mm raw bolts so i guess it is standard and as per regulations....... 12mm raw bolts is not cheap when you mass producing if that makes sense

User

A single M10 rawl bolt max load is rated at about 17kN. Roughly equating to 1.7tons - the average rating of a car tow hitch.
    The M12 picks that up to 2.5tons. That's fairly secure if installed properly in a solid wall.
    My rifle safe has 8 of these installed, split between the concrete floor and wall.

A safe inspection on one of my smaller safes was nothing more than a tug on the safe, without the need to open the door.

User

Prodigal did you get a compliance certificate on the spot when they inspected or did you get it later when you collected your licences?
    Or not at all?

User

Prodigal did you get a compliance certificate on the spot when they inspected or did you get it later when you collected your licences?
    Or not at all?
    no, i got ziltch. i don't think i've heard of a compliance cert until now.

User

I was told you're supposed to get a "SAP 538"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast