Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default dedicated sports shooter status-NSA

Hi all

Just a quick question which I am confused about.

I have my dedicated hunters and dedicated sports shooters status with NSA.

Is this dedicated sports shooters status the same as I would recieve by acheiving 20 points or however that works?

Im talking in the eyes of the FCA, I obviously know its not the same doing an exam and competing IDPA etc.

Im asking because does this mean im entitled to apply for a semi auto like an LM etc?

I know motivation will be a problem since i dont shoot 3 gun.

Please forgive my ignorance re SADPSA/IDPSA etc really dont understand how that all works

cheers and thanks guys
    luke

User

Default Re: dedicated sports shooter status-NSA

I am also with NSa and the 20 point story makes no sense,

so thansk for asking the question. I look forward to the reponses.

NSA has its rule and procedures. IDPA has theirs. IPSC has their own too.

I don't see the problem.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

SADPA (IDPA in SA) works on a points system for purposes of obtaining and maintaining dedicated status from SADPA. The minimum points must be sustained/maintained every year to enable you to stay dedicated, in other words you must participate in the sport of IDPA shooting to enable you to apply for DS from SADPA.

If you have DS from NSA it will not be recognised for purposes of DS by SADPA.

I doubt that any of the sport shooting disciplines will recognise DS from another discipline.

I do not know if you will be able to get a SA rifle licence through NSA but I doubt that you will - I stand to be corrected on this issue.

User

ok cool that makes sense, so as far as I understand each organisation comes up with its own criteria for awarding DS.

With NSA you do an exam and submit targets, with SADPA you score 20 points. ok cool understood.

But in the eyes of the FCA is dedicated status equal no matter who awards it?

I would assume that being the case that I would be able to apply for a semi auto rifle as a dedicated sports shooter, the only problem would be putting together a watertight motivation!

does that sound correct guys?

User

The way I see it, NSA dedicated status will not carry much weight - you're very limited to what you can license. I for example want to get a 2nd handgun for sports but NSA requires any handgun of virtually any calibre in order to participate. I would have to have one hell of a motivation why my SD handgun wouldn't be sufficient to participate and why I NEED a second one. It's not impossible but wouldn't be as straight forward as an application for a SADPA division that my SD handgun does not fall into.
    The way I feel is that NSA dedicated status will however contribute to the weight of any dedicated license application. I have only commented on my understanding of NSA etc from a handgun point of view, not rifles.

likewise - this precicely why i have not done mine yet as i am worried about the validity. Its an easy process really according to them - write a test and do a shoot, need 100% for test and 70% for the shoot ( i forget the exact figures) and bobs your uncle - youre now dedicated. Please could the clever guys give us more info.

User

Imo CFR is not going to be convinced that you need a SA rifle for sport shooting if your association does not regularly present matches or shoots where SA rifles are specifically needed for participation = like 3 Gun or Multi Gun or "Diensskiet" (I do not know what exactly it is called but it utilises mil service type rilfes to compete) and there may be others?.

Licencing is a long process, and to find out after 6 or 8 months that your motivation/need is not working will be frustrating to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeS View Post

But in the eyes of the FCA is dedicated status equal no matter who awards it?

I would assume that being the case that I would be able to apply for a semi auto rifle as a dedicated sports shooter, the only problem would be putting together a watertight motivation!

does that sound correct guys?
    Dedicated status is dedicated status.You would, in theory at least, be entitled to licence a restricted firearm.

However, you still need to convince the CFR of your need to own it. What shooting discipline, under NSA, which requires the use of semi auto rifles, do you intend to use it for?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

NSA has the following categories in which to enter the postal competition for rifles:

1. Rimfire Hunting Rifle (.22 calibre) 10 shots at 25m shot on one target in your own time scored out of 100 points.
    2. Medium-bore Centre-fire Hunting Rifle (all centre-fire calibres < 9,3mm and .375) 5 shots at 100m on your own time, shot on one target and scored out of 50 points.
    3. Large-bore Centre-fire Hunting Rifle (all centre-fire calibres from 9,3mm and .375 and larger) 5 shots at 100m on your own time, shot on one target and scored out of 50 points.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast