Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Re-licensing? AVOID THIS TRAP!!!

JS4 I love the hmmmm part.

JS4 my bad ...my apologies. There it is; on the internal SAPS Circular. Point 11.6.

A motivation has to be given as to whether you have been complying with requirements of the original license issued to you.

Now lets list those requirements shall we. From the Act.

Lets start with a firearms licence for SD.

The requirements are? lets take them from the top as they are stipulated in Act 60 of 2000.

Annexture A (at this stage) is not an official Government Gazetted document.

Proving compliance with SD license entails showing them that your circumstances haven't changed. If you were a scared and lonely housewife before, you have to show you're still one now.

For hunting and sports you have to show track records of usage of the gun. Score sheets for club shoots, game farm receipts etc.

Ciao!
    Eddie

Banned

We all deserve fair protection in terms of the law.

Lets also keep in mind while searching for those requirements one would have had to comply with; note that the officially issued INSTRUCTIONS of the Registrar still valid today (not referring to an internal SAPS circular) does NOT require Annexture A. The only motivation required there is that of the DFO. (Section H2.1 Page 5 of SAPS Form 518(a) )

Here is the official instruction on how to apply for a renewal in terns of the FCA as it stands on 15-07-2011.

INSTRUCTIONS: APPLICATION FOR THE RENEWAL OF A FIREARM LICENCE, PERMIT, CERTIFICATE OR AUTHORIZATION

http://www.saps.gov.za/crime_prevent...ish/ei518a.pdf

And here clearly for OFFICIAL USE ONLY: The instruction to the DFO

2.1 Motivation regarding the application
    A motivation regarding the application must be recorded in paragraph H 2.1. The motivation must be based on actual facts,and not mere hearsay.
    Again Para H 2.1 is not for the applicants use - but for use by
    FOR OFFICIAL USE BY THE DESIGNATED FIREARMS OFFICER/STATION COMMISSIONER
    Note - There nothing about also having to complete any Appendix A to form SAPS 518(a), the only document mentioning this Annexture A in addition to form 518(a) is an internal SAPS circular, not the Act.

No Eddie - list the requirements you need to comply with from the Act. Not circumstances...requirements.

If you cannot find those requirements, that's also an answer. :)

Quote Originally Posted by P35 View Post
    No Eddie - list the requirements you need to comply with from the Act. Not circumstances...requirements.

If you cannot find those requirements, that's also an answer. :)
    To apply for a self-defense gun in the first place, you had to prove a need which couldn't be reasonably satisfied by any other means than a firearm. This was the key requirement -- prove a need. You did this by stating circumstances that necessitated the use of a firearm (your dangerous job, neighborhood, travel on deserted roads, or whatever made you a potential victim of crime).

The requirement this time is to show that those circumstances still apply to you. How else can you even justify the need for said gun if you don't have circumstances that require it?

But while you and I actually care about the semantics, the half-wit at CFR who makes the decision can barely write his own name. I'm convinced if your motivation is yay thick with tons of graphs, photos, tables and stats they won't even bother reading it all the way through -- I've seen this happen more than once.

Ciao!
    Eddie

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

User

And here I was thinking that asking the Cops at the Cop Shop would be the best and honest thing to do... Don't think so no more!
    Thanks for the Headsup!

User

This was asked earlier in this thread, but I don't think it was answered. What do you when you are late with your renewal (i.e. not 90 days before, but still before expiry?) Do you hand in the firearm (for SD) to a gun shop for storage until the renewal is granted (hopefully)? Maybe get a storage permit from the DFO?

User

There is a section in the renewal to 'motivate' why the renewal was not before the 90 days.

Even so, I believe that you may still retain your firearm as long as your are furnished with proof that the application has been lodged (receipt or acceptance form).

I have taken to EDC'ing my Section 15 though, since I am still awaiting my SD renewal (which was lodged in time), but no new license yet and my "official" license has now expired. Prefer to avoid any trouble with a LE who doesn't know the act.

Very interesting and useful.
    Thank you

User

Hi All,

I will need to renew my s.13 (SD) licence in mid-December of this year (2015). In this regard, I have read the above chain of comments and have also done a few searches but can't seem to find any recent views on the following:--

1) I understand that the renewal application needs to be done on the SAP 518a Form. Is this still the case?
    2) Does the Annexure A to the SAP 518a Form still need to be completed?
    3) I understand that one needs to prepare and submit a motivation with the FA renewal. This motivation, as I understand it, needs to show that your personal circumstances have not changed. In the case of a SD firearm, how would one practically motivate this (I assume that you would need to show how and why you still need a SD FA)?
    4) I was thinking of pulling crime stats from the SAPS website and from our local area's CPF website. Would this be sufficient or should I be including other relevant info? If yes, what else have other members included?
    5) I understand that the app and motivation need to be submitted "... at least 90 days before the expiry of the current licence". Is this correct?
    6) Are there any other issues, pitfalls or challenges of which I should be aware when preparing the docs for this renewal?

Many thanks in advance for your advice and input in relation to the above...

User

Bump -- any views and input in relation to my questions set out in Post No. 19?

Many thanks in advance

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast